Can I upgrade XP with the full version?

Graphicool1 13:48 21 Nov 10

A friend just asked me the following question...
"I know you can only upgrade with Home Premium Upgrade, and Clean Install with the Full Version. But, can you upgrade XP with the full version?"

I am assuming he wants to install 'WinXP Pro' on a PC that already has 'WinXP Home'. By using a WinXP Pro disk as an upgrade or repair install. My gut feeling is no you can't.

GaT7 13:52 21 Nov 10

Yes, it is possible apparently - see last post in this thread click here by Ron Martell. G

lotvic 13:53 21 Nov 10

My gut feeling is to ask him what he means then tell him you will look into it. (will save you and us a lot of time and effort)

GaT7 14:09 21 Nov 10

Another little tip is to have the XP Pro install disc at the same level as the Home install in terms of service packs - see click here.

So if Home has SP3 installed, but the Pro install disc only SP1/SP2, it would be recommended to either:
1. Downgrade the Home installation accordingly, by
uninstalling the relevant service pack(s) if possible, OR (if not possible), to
2. Create a slipstreamed Pro install disc with SP3 integrated into it. This can be easily done with a free program like nLite click here, & any CD-writing software that will burn an image file to disc (like the free click here). G

Graphicool1 14:35 21 Nov 10

Thanks for the link and the following info. I've sent him the 'Ron Martell' details. If he responds I'll give him the other details.

Lotvic:
Yes, you are right of course, however, the guy in question isn't as communicative as he might be. Although I call him a friend, he is only a friend when HE is in need. Still as I said, I have sent him the link from 'Crossbow' so the ball is now in his court.

Graphicool1 17:59 21 Nov 10

I've just heard back from him...
"Not XP, installing Windows 7. I know OEM is clean install only, and Upgrade is that only,
my question is will W7 Home Premium Full Version do clean and or upgrade installs?"

GaT7 18:11 21 Nov 10

OEM or retail W7 on XP will do a clean install only - step-by-step instructions at click here. G

lotvic 18:12 21 Nov 10

Upgrading from Windows XP to Windows 7 click here which basically tells you you can't you have to do a custom /clean install.

First though it's recommended to run the W7 Upgrade advisor program click here to find out if pc is suitable and which programs will still work when reinstalled and what drivers you need to find and install. Printers are the usual problem.

Graphicool1 18:41 21 Nov 10

I also found this...click here
I'll give him all the info, then it's up to him what he does with it. G1

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now