Can I upgrade my processor

Dazza40 22:42 07 Dec 05

My PC is approx 5 yrs old. Can I upgrade the processor and add a secondary Hard drive? Is it worth it or easier to buy new.
Some details of system as it stands...
Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600)
MEDIONPC 8366-8233
40.01 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
27.15 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space
Board: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD MS-6382
Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. 6.00 PG 02/28/2002
768 Megabytes Installed Memory
Details taken from Belarc. Thanks

Skills 23:32 07 Dec 05

Whats the current processor in your system as I cant see it listed.

Upgrading the CPU will depend alot on what your board can support and in my experience with an older system then its better to go for a new mobo, CPU and RAM or stick with your current setup. Mainly because you may only be able to get a processor thats a few hundred mhz faster for your outlay so not really worth it. Also if you buy a new setup then your going to get support for the latest tech.

Adding a second hard drive is a really simple thing to do.

Dazza40 19:56 08 Dec 05

Thanks Skills,
More or less what I thought. Next question then is any limitations on mobo, cpu etc? Is this limited by the case?
Any recemmendations on supplier?

Dumb questions I now they maybe...

Thanks

Diodorus Siculus 20:20 08 Dec 05

It all depends on what you want to do with the PC and what your budget is.

For £750 you can get a nice one down at Aldi at present click here

I buy everything PC related from Novatech.co.uk because of their excellent service and prices.

Totally-braindead 00:40 09 Dec 05

Most motherboards fit most cases. Notice I said most. If you buy a standard tower case whether a midi style or mini style you will have no problem. The problem you have is if you buy a really small case, then you're limited to fitting a smaller motherboard. What I would say is the easiest thing is either look at the computer that Diodorus Siculus suggested or if you don't want to spend that then have a look at the Novatech ones click here they come assembled and all you need is a hard drive and a cdrom or whatever and a floppy drive and a graphics card if it doesn't have onboard graphics. Two things to be aware of though. If you buy a new PC you will need a new operating system so you'll have to budget for that and if you do buy a PC with onboard graphics make sure it has an AGP slot or you will be stuck with whatever you have and will find it impossible to play most games if you're into that. If you post back with a budget people would be more able to advise plus you really need to say what you use it for. If you want to play games for example it will cost a bit more. If you're not interested in games and just want something a bit faster than what you have you can get good deals from the likes of Dell.

Dazza40 15:55 10 Dec 05

Thanks for the info. I don't really use the pc for gsming. The sprogs are more into X Box and the like for gaming. Just feel that the PC as it stands is bit slow when using multiple apps.
Aldi PC looks a good deal but a bit more than I was hoping to pay at the mo. Hoping that i could give the old machine a bit of a speed up and add some more storage with maybe a second hard drive.

Was hoping to spend say a couple of hundred on a new mobo and hard drive.

Any recommendations?

Diodorus Siculus 16:17 10 Dec 05

You could take a look at Novatech motherboard bundles - that's the way I went recently and for a couple of hundred pounds you get a decent mobo/ cpu / ram and then you can add another hdd.

Computer Supplies from Novatech
click here

Totally-braindead 17:48 10 Dec 05

Theres a lot of problems associated with upgrading a processor on a branded PC. For a start you have to be sure the motherboard will take a faster processor and you can only do this if you can find the details of the motherboard. You may have to flash the BIOS which if it goes wrong can make the motherboard stop working. The case too may be slightly modified making it more differcult to install new components, you will possibly need a new power supply, you may need new memory, the list goes on. Buying a bundle as I suggested is the better option. I'm downloading the manual now to see what your PC can take in the way of a processor and will post back.

Totally-braindead 17:51 10 Dec 05

It can take a socket A processor up to a 1500 according to the manual. Depending on what you have in the PC just now its probably not worth it.

Dazza40 20:07 11 Dec 05

Thanks both for your suggestions. I think that the safest way is to go for one of the bare bones bundles and add a big hdd.

Cybermaxx 19:19 13 Dec 05

Dazza40, you can download a manual for your existing motherboard from here

click here

AMD Socket A CPUs......., up to 1.5 GHz, apparently. I don't know much (anything!) about AMD CPUs. Hopefully, someone else can have a look at that (it's in PDF format, btw), and advise you further on possible upgrades.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…