Can I 'unlock' features of my Bios or replace/update it?

NiallLucas 11:44 18 Apr 14

I have a Sony Vaio VPCF22MOE with Intel i7-2630QM (2GHz).

I'm trying to turbo boost the processor which I've been told (from the intel site itself and from various Google searches) is possible. With a max clock speed of 2.9GHz when boosted.

My BIOS however, has limited options and any option to overclock is missing. The BIOS manufacturer and version is:

Aptio Setup Utility (American Megatrends Inc. R1190V3, 05/09/2011) SMBIOS version: 2.7

I've updated the BIOS to the latest version from the Vaio support site which has updated it to the above version.

I've heard about flashing new BIOS versions onto laptops (and also that it's quite risky) and was wondering how exactly it's done, or if there is some way or getting a new version or unlocking those missing options?

I was also wondering if there might be another issue preventing me from assessing these options? I've heard of people overclocking the VPCF22MOE so not entirely sure this is the case, but you never know.

Any help appreciated.

Intel link: click here

Mr Mistoffelees 14:06 18 Apr 14

I would be very disinclined to overclock a laptop because of their limited cooling systems.

alanrwood 16:20 18 Apr 14

That's probably why the option is not there in the first place. As far as I know, all Sony laptops have very limited BIOS settings, at least the ones I have had. Might change now that Sony have sold off the business

NiallLucas 18:40 18 Apr 14

As I understood it, Intel turbo boost technology monitors the temperature and only overclocks if the system isn't overheating - so I assumed it would be fairly safe?

In either case, is there no way of flashing a new BIOS onto the laptop, or would it simply not work?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:44 18 Apr 14

If you tried to flash it with an incorrect BIOS you could brick the whole machine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…