can I uninstall a widows security update?

rickd 21:56 24 Apr 06

I've been having trouble installing a new nvidia driver and its been suggested this may have something to do with a recent windows security update KB908531. How can I uninstall the windows update to see if this is causing the problem? I tried restoring back to the day before I downloaded the update (13th April), but the update still appears as succesfully downloaded in my windows update history so I guess its installed in the registry

(See thread on nvidia graphics install problem if you want the full story)

Totally-braindead 22:06 24 Apr 06

Some are listed in add/remove programs, if its not there did someone not give a link to a Microsoft update which sorts it or a work around option?

Totally-braindead 22:09 24 Apr 06

This is what I was thinking of "The update is presently being tested, and is expected to be released tomorrow, the same day that Microsoft is scheduled to release its non-security updates for the month. " If it is this that is causing the problem you should be able to get the new update on Tuesday the 25th.

rickd 22:26 24 Apr 06

OK thanks, its not listed as a prog (I don't think anyhow) and the work around looked a bit scary unless I really had to do it, but I'll wait for tomorrow and see if the patch patches the patch, so to speak.
For future ref do I take it that once you let a windows security update onto your system, there's no going back (would kinda make me want to hold back on updating in future)

I still don't think this'll solve my intial problem, but we'll see.

rickd 22:56 24 Apr 06

just been sitting here crying in front of my PC and windows live update fired up and asked if it was ok to install 7 updates, which included the supposedly offending patch I was trying to get rid of, so I guessed restoring back to before the date they were first installed may have worked after all. So I cancelled the update in the hope that the patch really had never installed. Sadly however, when I tried downloading the Nvidia update I've been trying to download for 3 days, it still didn't work. So now I don't know whether the offending patch does or doesn't exist on my PC, or if it is offending in the first place!

Ho hum, time to go lie down.....

BRYNIT 23:25 24 Apr 06

Windows updates are hidden in add/remove programs, click on show updates will make them visible.

rickd 12:12 25 Apr 06

I should have known that! Still rolling back did have the same efect and I'm rid of the troublesome patch for now
Thanx

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…