Can I Uninstall norton av?

humphshouse 15:40 25 Aug 03

I have just had my renewal notification for my preinstalled av software (Norton 2002), and before I pay up have decided that I would like to try one of the free AV versions such as AVG as a trial. What i would like to know is if i run the uninstall will i be able to go back to it as I do not have a disc or does uninstalling the preinstalled software mean that's the end! I am running windows xp home.
thanks.

-pops- 15:47 25 Aug 03

I don't think you would be able to re-install without the disk or using the System Restore but I wouldn't worry about it. There are just as good, if not better A/V programs available for free as you seem to know. I've been on AVG for a good long time now after being messed around with by McAfee. I've never regretted being with AVG and it's certainly been less hassle tha McAfee ever was.

Go for it - I doubt you'll regret it.

BinaryBen 16:06 25 Aug 03

I wouldn't recomend it, while the software itself may seem okay, I doubt that it can match the resources of NAV AV Centre.

With all the viruses going around you need to be sure you've got the best protection. If you uninstall NAV, you'll lose a year's worth of virus definitions, including MSBLAST, you run the risk of something going wrong if this freebie app doesn't take to you system very well, you may leave yourself
open to new viruses if the firm don't support it properly and you may not be able to go back to NAV if you don't have the installation disk.

I'd think long and hard about it. There's a reason why NAV was preinstalled instead of some freebie app.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it

john-232317 16:09 25 Aug 03

I second that pops,much less hassle than Nortons as well and free....;-)

john-232317 16:20 25 Aug 03

Is my old brain losing it, or wasnt NAV free at one time ??

The only reason NAV was pre-installed is probably a financial deal to the better for the comp seller, but surely you should have a disc of all the software installed ?

961 17:00 25 Aug 03

I'd be interested to know why Binary Ben doubts that AVG can match the resources of Norton

While it is certainly true that AVG is free to the home computer user, professionals have to pay for it, and if it wasn't up to scratch the company would have ceased business a long time ago

You will find that a fairly high percentage of visitors to the PC Advisor web site use AVG and a survey of previos threads will show that the number of complaints about the software are probably much lower than those for Norton and MacAfee

Ivor_Monkey 17:05 25 Aug 03

My guess is that a large proportion of the folks here (perhaps even a larger proportion of the experienced users) are happy to pay the tenner for the year's subscription for NAV.

Either way, it is not a big deal.

BinaryBen 18:08 25 Aug 03

Many IT professionals use NAV because of it's AV research centre and it links to Microsoft's Virus Information Alliance means it is very proactive and qucik to respond to new viruses, trogan horses, worms etc.

It is a lite version of the Symantec code that runs most of Microsoft's disk maintenance software such as ScanDisk and Defrag. Microsoft also licenced a lite version of NAV for MS-AV but despite the vast resources of Microsoft, they were insuffient to quickly counter new threats and was discontinued.

I have been using Norton for eight years now and I have never had any viruses or hard disk problems.

Yes there are many other quality products out there and I am not saying this AVG isn't up to the job but the question asked was "can I uninstall Norton AV?" The answer is, of course yes but I simply raised the point, do you really need to?

This guy has paid good money already for an antivirus solution; why throw away that solid protection?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…