Can I transfer my Windows 7 OS to a new computer?

Throbber 20:32 11 Mar 10

I recently purchased Windows 7 OS [single PC licence] which I installed on my PC. Very happy with the result. However, this PC now seems to be on its last legs. If I buy a new PC [good deal, but with Vista OS] will Microsoft let me install my copy of Windows 7 onto the new PC? Do I have to go through some form of getting permission? How would this work?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:41 11 Mar 10

No not if OEM

"I recently purchased Windows 7 OS [single PC licence]"

Yes if a full retail version.

MS EULA in Plain English

click here

Throbber 20:52 11 Mar 10

Thanks Fruitbat - it is full retail version. Can I simply install it, or will Microsoft block the install as I have already installed it on another computer? What is the process?

dth 21:08 11 Mar 10

it will either work or you will have to phone the help number that comes up if it doesn't. if the latter they will give you a code number to use once you have explained what has happened to your old p/c

Throbber 23:02 12 Mar 10

Thanks dth. Will let you know how I get on when the time comes. As always, great advice from this site!

rdave13 23:16 12 Mar 10

Why not buy a PC, without an OS, if you have a full retail Windows 7 disc? Better specs, with motherboard drivers discs, no OS installed but specify W7 to be the operating system to have the appropriate mobo drivers?
Should save about 80 squids.
Possibly start a new thread on these boards to ask for some recommondations for sites that sell PCs without OSs?
Just a thought.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017