Can I transfer Excel?

bri-an 21:31 02 Oct 06

On my present computer I have Microsoft Office, but on the Dell I recently purchased there is no Excel, I located the Excel files in the Prog Folder (MS Office) and copied them over to the Dell - but then found they couldn't be used unless 'installed'.
Can they be installed? and if so how do I do it?
I like Excel and would like to use it on my new machine, so any help much appreciated.

Totally-braindead 21:35 02 Oct 06

There are a great deal of problems involved with trying to move the actual programs, moving the data is easy but the actual program itself may not be moveable. I presume from what you say you no longer have the original Excel disk and since I've never tried to move it I can't help.
Someone may be able to work out a way of doing it but everytime I've tried to move a program from one drive to another its failed. The only time I have ever had any success with this sort of thing is when I've used a cloning program to copy the complete contents of one drive to another.

terryf 21:35 02 Oct 06

have a look at click here you have a complete package of Office look-alike and it is free, you can save files in a sutable format to be read by office (but you have to say you want this) and it will read office files

VoG II 21:45 02 Oct 06

You need to uninstall Excell from your old machine then install from the Office CD on your new PC. If you do not have an Office CD it cannot be done.

bri-an 21:49 02 Oct 06

Many thanks, guys, just as I expected really, do not have a disk for Excel, it was already installed on my previous computer.
C'est la vie.
Suppose I'll have to purchase if I want it - although I may have a look at your suggestion, terryf.
Thanks again.

Totally-braindead 21:49 02 Oct 06

There you are then bri-an theres your answer I'm afraid. VoG™ is the expert on this forum on Excel and if he says it can't be done without the disk then I'm sure he is right.
Sorry.
If you have the disk you can just install it on the new PC and delete it from the old one but as I said earlier I am presumming you don't have the disk.

bri-an 21:53 02 Oct 06

Thanks, our posts 'crossed', but I do not have the disk, unfortunately.
Cheers, anyway.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac