Can I synchronise two computers

gel 07:22 AM 12 Aug 12
Answered

Hello I have a desk top and a lap top both running windows 7 Can I synchronise them so that I can read and work on the documents in either computer. The desk top is wired from the Thompson router The lap top is run wireless. Thank you gel

Secret-Squirrel 09:07 AM 12 Aug 12
Answer

A couple of options for you to consider:

1) Store all your documents on the desktop computer and create a Windows 7 HomeGroup to enable you to access them from your laptop - see here for more info and step-by-step instructions.

If you want to work on, or access, your documents away from your house on your laptop then option 1 won't be any good. If you want up-to-date copies of your documents stored on both computers then consider some synchronisation software such as Microsoft's SyncToy - see here for more info and here for the download. Note if you're running the 64-bit version of Windows 7 then you'll need to use the SyncToySetupPackagev21x64.exe link.

gel 09:42 AM 12 Aug 12

Thank you Secret-Squirrel That is a very compressive reply to my query Thank you gel

KRONOS the First 10:00 AM 12 Aug 12

Or you can use DropBox which when you install on your PC's will keep any docs placed in it's folders synced automatically.

Secret-Squirrel 10:16 AM 12 Aug 12

Is that a cloud-based service Chronus?

March Hare 10:43 AM 12 Aug 12

Yes, Dropbox is cloud based; I have used it for some time, it is very convenient for syncing documents and photos between computers, although large files can take some time and there is a total size limit on the free version (can't remember what it is).

Secret-Squirrel 11:21 AM 12 Aug 12

Thanks for that Marchy.

In that case I think gel should be made aware that Dropbox uses his Internet connection instead of his home network.

If the OP's got a slow broadband connection then file operations could be painfully slow and will eat into the data allowance set by his ISP - if he has an allowance that is. Having said all that, Dropbox does appear to offer a very useful service which looks ideal for lots of users.

I've just checked and there's 2GB of storage for free accounts.

gel 11:32 AM 12 Aug 12

Thanks for comments Yes I am a little concerned at using cloud based activities I have used google documents for some time which has now changed to google drive but only for files with no security concerns and I see this week a report which is suggesting that businesses using cloud based storage may eventually get security problems But thanks for the alternatives suggested gel

KRONOS the First 11:39 AM 12 Aug 12

I've just checked and there's 2GB of storage for free accounts.

But you can,as I have, increase your free space to 20GB.

Secret-Squirrel 11:54 AM 12 Aug 12

Thanks for the clarification Chronus. I got my information from this document dated April of this year, but from what you've said, it's clearly out-of-date now.

How do you increase storage to 20GB on a free account?

KRONOS the First 12:40 PM 12 Aug 12

There are a couple of ways,obviously invite everyone one you know to sign up. Or as I did use this method posted here: Click here.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Sony Xperia Z5 launch live: Sony Xperia Z5 live video stream from IFA 2015 - watch…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

DxO One 'pro' camera attachment for the iPhone: UK pricing & availability

What to expect at the September Apple event: Apple announces 9 September event, sends out invites