can i store program on a external hard drive ??

masterf 14:38 20 Jun 09

can i store programs on a external hard drive ?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:40 20 Jun 09

As it setup file yes

If you want to run the program from the external drive you need to make sure that windows gives that drive a permanent drive letter.

Kevscar1 14:48 20 Jun 09

Not if you run it from the exe. on that drive

Graphicool1 14:49 20 Jun 09

An external drive, Pen drive, Flash drive can all be used as you would an internal slave drive.

also windows still uses your main drive for some files and registry so you cant take the drive and use else where.

masterf 15:12 20 Jun 09

ok thanks

Graphicool1 15:25 20 Jun 09

tucker1975 isn't completly correct as you can get portable programmes. These can be installed on any portable drive and used from it anywhere. Check out Portable Apps click here I use these on a pen drive. It does what it says on the lid.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:35 20 Jun 09

masterf has three threads running at the moment all seem to point to upgrading a P/Bell.

I think this question is about taking the programs from the PBell and storing them while he changes a hard drive. We have already talked about drive cloning to allow him to transfer windows an installed software programs.

woodchip 16:49 20 Jun 09

All the Programs will run from the Drive, if they are loaded at Setup as Custom Install to that drive. The Drive would need to be plugged in to run the Programs.

PS you cannot move programs from the Drive they was loaded to, to a Ex Drive. they will not work

Graphicool1 16:50 20 Jun 09

Thanx for the info. I wish people would stick to one thread. It's confusing when you haven't been here for a while. G1

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced