Can I stop MSN Messenger 7.0 taking over??

Charlie Babbage 14:40 22 May 05

My son asked me to install MSN Messenger which I have done but am already starting to regret doing so!

When computer first switched on, desktop appears as usual but then quickly replaced by a whole screen inviting you to sign on to Messenger. I don't want this to appear every time - only when I actually want to sign in!

I've tried right-clicking on Messenger icon in System tray and selecting 'Exit' but next time I switch on again that damn screen appears. I've also looked at the StartUp folder in 'All Progams' which does not list anything!! I'd be interested to know how Messenger starts automatically in that case.

Any assistance given will be much appreciated.

VoG II 14:44 22 May 05

In MSN Messenger, Tools/Options, General, Untick Automatically run Messenger when I log on to Windows.

anchor 13:25 23 May 05

Follow the advice from VoG™.

Then check msconfig startup again, and you should see an entry "msnmsgr". Make sure this is un-ticked. Click apply.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…