Can I speed up wireless on my Toshiba Portégé?

splinternet 13:42 17 Aug 08

I have a Toshiba Portégé S100 with an Intel PRO/Wireless 2915ABG adapter, and an Advent with a Realtek wireless adapter. Using the same 8Mbps broadband service (Sky), the Advent consistently downloads at 6Mbps but I can only get 2.3Mbps out of my Portégé. I ran the tests over a period of time so these were not one-off observations. I currently have another 8Mbps BB service (BT) and I find a similar differential between the two laptops on this.

Do I need to replace the Intel adapter with something more meaty?

Just to compare the two machines, the Portégé has a 1.86GHz Pentium processor with 1.5GB of RAM, running Windows XP Pro 2002 SP2. The other laptop is an Advent with a 2GHz AMD processor, 4GB of RAM, running Vista Home Premium SP1.

mgmcc 16:31 17 Aug 08

You could try changing the Channel number in the router's wireless settings. Also, some Wireless Network Adapters seem to handle encryption better than others - some can suffer a loss of speed.

splinternet 23:03 17 Aug 08

Tried changing a variety of settings without really knowing what I was doing. For one particular channel, the speed went down to 0.3Mbps but otherwise it steadfastly remained 2.3Mbps. Do I need to think about changing the adapter? If so, who best to advise? Toshiba, perhaps?

mgmcc 08:00 18 Aug 08

Is there any way you could borrow a USB Wireless Network Adapter to try it out? I have Belkin, D-Link and Linksys USB WiFi adapters and all work well for me. You shouldn't have a problem with adapters from any of the leading brands, which also includes Netgear.

splinternet 20:42 18 Aug 08

I've got a Netgear WG111T USB adapter. Do I need to disable the existing adapter in my PC because they seemed to interfere with one another.

mgmcc 23:01 18 Aug 08

You could disable the existing adapter by right clicking it in the Network Connections folder ("Start > Run", type NCPA.CPL and click OK) and selecting "Disable". Then see how you get on with the USB adapter.

splinternet 09:13 21 Aug 08

I tried the Netgear USB adapter but it was singularly useless - it would only detect a weak router signal even when I was sat next to it! I've downloaded the latest driver for the Intel 2915ABG adapter and it's made no difference. I am still in the position where my Advent laptop is getting 6Mbps and my Portege only 2.3Mbps (I'm using the Thinkbroadband.com tester, though Sky tech support were less than complimentary about its accuracy, due to it being server-based).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…