can I speed up my wireless connection?

awest3 18:57 24 Apr 08

Just set up another desktop via wireess in another room. hovering over the wireless icon I get the following stats..
:Connect speed 54 MBPS
:Speed strengh excellent
:Status connected...
prblem is I downloaded some utility software and only seem to be getting a download rate of 19kb/sec..

Anything I can tweak..? already have the receiving ariel and the router sky - netgear) up as high as possible...

Al

Dipso 21:38 24 Apr 08

Try TCP Optimizer from click here Set the slider to your connection speed, choose your wirless adapter from the dropdown menu, hit optimal settings, aply then reboot.

Ditch999 21:55 24 Apr 08

Dont be fooled by downloading from the internet. That speed is dependent on the servers you are connected to. If your stats are as you say then be happy with them :-)
If you want to check then try downloading from another PC on your network. Select a large file, 100mb or so, and time it transferring from one to another. The 2nd pc should be wired to the router ideally.

pj1664 22:00 24 Apr 08

I have got the same problem with my laptop, I am going to give it a go, what have i got to loose.

Dipso 22:14 24 Apr 08

Surely what you suggest is only testing the speed of the network and not the internet connection, which I thought was the OP's problem?

The speed is dependent on the server but the answer is to download a test file from a well sourced server, MS perhaps? click here

Ditch999 22:18 24 Apr 08

His title is called "can I speed up my wireless connection?" This is the connection between the access point and the wireless PC. That is why I said what I said. He did not ask if he could speed up his BB connection.

awest3 22:28 24 Apr 08

Hi guys,

Thanks for this....I think ditch999 is correct..I rather stupidly put my question in after just the one download....on doing another one I found the download was at over 200kbs...however I shall also look at the other suggestions to see if there is anything else which may tweak it a little...

Thanks as ever...amazing knowledge out there.

Al

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

Disney layout supervisor Rob Dressel on the challenges of visualising Moana

Siri vs Google Assistant