Can I Simply Upgrade My AMD Processor?

swanson2 13:42 29 May 03

My PC has an Elite Group K7S5A Mainboard, 512 Mb of SDRAM and a AMD XP1700+ processor.

Can anyone advise me if I can simply replace my existing processor with say a XP2400+ processor and associated heat sink/fan unit and will I notice much difference?

Would it be better/cheaper to upgrade the memory to DDRAM?

Is the cost involved not worth the extra performance achieved - I don't play games!

Jomi 14:11 29 May 03

There are three K7S5A boards click here or click here or click here the v1.x you should look at the boards manual which should tell you how far you can go with any upgrade.
Upgrading to DDR will improve your system performance and allow you to run more progams at the same time, even if you don't play games, media such as DVD, music and photos can be high users. If you aren't having problems, don't bother.

STEVE71163 17:03 29 May 03

I would not bother upgrading your processor as you probably would not notice any difference. I would upgrade your ram if anything as that would be more noticeable.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…