can i set up a fax on xp?

does win xp home edition have a in built fax like win 98? and how do i configure it..hope you can help ..cheers garry

ade.h 17:05 15 Jan 06

Yes it does. The Fax service needs to be installed from the CD. You select it from Add/Remove Windows Components.

pj123 17:08 15 Jan 06

As far as I know Win 98 never had a fax facility.

The fax facility usually came with the dialup analogue modem. Mine comes with Supervoice which is a really good fax/answerphone program.

XP (as far as I know) does have some sort of fax facility built in, but you would still need an analogue modem connected to your phone line to use it.

ade.h 17:16 15 Jan 06

You can't use Fax Services if you have a DSL modem, because fax data needs an analogue line as pj rightly says.

thanks guys mucho appreciated cheers garry

woodchip 21:18 15 Jan 06

They both have fax, But you need a Dial-Up Modem to send a Fax. Brodband will not send Fax

Stuartli 21:26 15 Jan 06

<<As far as I know Win 98 never had a fax facility.>>

Windows 98 and 98SE did have a fax facility and a very good one as well - Windows Messaging Service.

It could be found on the installation disk as wms.exe and Awfax.exe.

The layout was virtually an exact copy of Outlook Express with Inbox, Send, Delete etc making it particularly easy to use for those already familiar with OE.

XP's fax facility can be added in similar fashion from Add/Remove Windows Components and, again, is very straightforward to configure and use.

But you will need to use a dialup modem to Send and Receive faxes - the Receive side could be made easier by obtaining a fax to e-mail service.

You are given an 0870 or 0871 xxx xxx telephone number to use as your fax number and a proportiion of the cost to the sender is taken by the service provider as its financial reward. The fax arrives in e-mail form.

kevinjuan 23:28 15 Jan 06

Found this on a Google search.

It may be of help.

click here

Kevin

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now