Can I send/receive faxes using broadband

pcgal 00:03 10 Oct 03

Hi,
I'm running on xp pro with a pipex broadband connection.
How do I go about setting my pc up to send and receive faxes...is this possible?

Djohn 00:10 10 Oct 03

Not through your broadband connection, but if you still have your dial-up modem connected then you can use this for fax. Regards. j.

Tim1964 00:11 10 Oct 03

A cable/adsl modem will only connect you to the Internet. It does not allow you to 'dialup' a regular phone number. Therefore, you may still want to keep your dialup modem around to send a fax. However, there are now a number of very good working Internet services that allow you to send and receive faxes over the Internet. Their pricing is very competitive. Receiving is often free, including a dedicated phone number.
Faxes you receive are sent to you via e-mail. Depending on the service, you may need some special viewer software. To send a fax, you need to send an e-mail to a special address, or the service will provide a special printer driver' that will send the file to the service directly. This method will look like a regular printer and work with all Windows software that can use a regular printer.
You could have a look at these

click here
click here
click here

I personally use click here then I receive my faxes as .pdf files to be printed out (if req.)

smegs 00:12 10 Oct 03

click here Don't know if this will help.

pcgal 00:17 10 Oct 03

Thanx djohn/tim .......are saying it's possible through my dialup modem which is still attached to my computer!
Does this mean I should unplug my broadband and reconfigure a dial up account for receiving faxes during the day....probably a stupid question!!! but I'm thick

pcgal 00:21 10 Oct 03

ahhh ok guys just realised....its so the modem can dial the number...dduuhhh told u I was thick.

pcgal 00:25 10 Oct 03

Just one more question ....is this modem/fax configuration possible now my lines converted to broadband........should I just unplug the broadband phone socket filter and attach the modem straight into the phone socket?

Djohn 00:29 10 Oct 03

No need to unplug the broadband, just plug the modem into the phone side of the filter. You can use a double adaptor [phone and 56k modem] to do this. j.

pj123 11:02 10 Oct 03

I have broadband and a dialup modem installed. I use the dialup for sending/receiving faxes, and also, if my BB connection goes down I still have an AOL account. You will need a programme like Supervoice or Faxtalk to be able to send and receive. I use Supervoice. Remember also that to receive faxes through the modem the computer must be switched on all the time. A good way round this is to subscribe to Trinite, which is the way I go, the charge is £20 a year and you get an exclusive 0870 number. All incoming faxes go direct to your email inbox, meaning you don't have to leave the computer on all the time. Trinite can be found at click here

IMBUDA 11:21 10 Oct 03

I have the answer: click here

I can SEND faxes free...

Good luck!

hvs 11:21 10 Oct 03

I have broadband and am able to send faxes using the 56K modem as Djohn suggested, have not worked out how to receive faxes yet because I unplug the modem cable straight after I've sent the fax otherwise I won't be able to receive calls and work on the internet. In win xp it's very simple just go to your help and support and type in fax, you will be prompted to insert your CD.On the microsoft site there is an article on faxing in Win xp, this is very informative!
Hope it helps you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Best iMovie for Mac tips 2017 | How to edit video with iMovie: 26 brilliant video editing tricks…