can i run two different isp in the same house?

ogsam33 20:08 11 May 09

ok i have this roommate whose job is to download stuff for business people. so whenever i get home from school, and try to get on the internet to do research for my assignments he gets mad about it and i end up going to library. im getting fed up now cuz this has been going on for 2 years. i cant say nothing about the internet cuz he's the one paying for it. so i decided that im finally gonna cough up some of my college tuition to pay for another internet service provider. rite now he has at&t dsl running thru the phone line in his room. im wondering if i could buy a different internet service provider like comcast and have it running thru the phone line in my room? and does anybody know which internet has the fastest download rate?

jack 20:13 11 May 09

I guess you may be in the USA- Am I right?
The phone you have is it a different number to the one you friend has.
Is it separate line?
If it is then I imagine that you could be independent. not so sure though if you are on the same line/exchange

cream. 20:14 11 May 09

You will not be able to run another BB sewrvice through the phone line, asuming you both use the same line.

You could use a dial-up service but that would tie up the phone line.

If you have reasonable mobile phone coverage, you could use a broadband dongle, through your usb slot to access a service provider for your machine.

PS does your room mate use a router or just a modem If it's a router, are they not willing to share?

ambra4 00:31 12 May 09

Comcast is a cable supplier and does not supply Internet access via the phone line

Take a read on Comcast High-Speed Internet service

click here

If the phone line in your room is using a difference phone number than the line in your

Roommate room than you can request DSL service on that line, if it a extension on his

line than you will have to install either Comcast Cable, Verizon DSL, Qwest DSL,

AT&T DSL, etc, check around your area and see what is available and what is the best

deal

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced