Can I reverse Hard Disk to 'new' condition

Barnacarry 09:08 12 May 07

I purchased a bare bones base unit some time ago - motherboard, graphics card, sound card and 80Gb hard drive. After installing all drivers via CD Rom and then Win XP, a blue screen appeared telling me that it's shutting down to prevent any damage. When rebooting all I get is a flashing cursor in the top left hand corner of the screen. I have tried using the XP disc again but nothing happens, just the flashing cursor. The Keyboard does nothing nor does the CD Rom or the mouse. Ive poked it, blown it, shaken it, hit it (My wifes' idea), I've prayed to it. I've taken all hardware out, bit by bit, and put them in again - nothing.
Can I put this hard drive into my other computer as a slave? and take it back to an 'out of box' condition so that I can start again?

MAJ 09:15 12 May 07

It sounds like a hardware problem alright, Barnacarry, bad memory, bad motherboard or bad hard drive. Yes, stick it into your other computer as a slave and format the drive, you can then try re-installing the hard drive in the faulty computer and loading Windows on to it. If the drive is not detected by the new computer then you know there's a problem with the drive.

MAJ 09:17 12 May 07

Assuming you have the XP CD that is, Barnacarry.

ICF 09:19 12 May 07

Set it to boot from the CD in the bios and do a repair install

click here

MAJ 09:37 12 May 07

CD Drive isn't working ICF.

ArrGee 09:50 12 May 07

When formatting the drive either use the drive manufacturers own format software or use this:

click here

Barnacarry 10:11 12 May 07

I've managed to format the new hard drive and have rebooted. I'm now getting a message -
NTLDR is missing. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart. When I do I get the same message.

freaky 11:19 12 May 07

Sounds as if the Boot BIOS is corrupted. Suggest you do a Google search on "NTLDR is missing". You will find a lot of information about this problem.

Also try to download Windows 98 SE OEM Bootdisk, once it's downloaded copy to a 3½ floppy, then insert the floppy and boot the PC. This will repair the Boot BIOS.

Eric10 11:28 12 May 07

If you can't boot from the CD drive then the PC will try to boot from your newly formatted hard drive and the 'NTLDR is missing' message is perfectly normal and is not a fault, it just means that the PC can't find an operating system. You need to find out why your CD drive isn't working so that you can boot from your XP CD and install Windows.

Barnacarry 11:49 12 May 07

Thanks everyone. Sorry to be so long but I have tried everything you've all said, particularly the Windows 98 SE OEM Bootdisk and, Voila, I now have a monitor with a picture of green fields and a blue sky. i wish I could buy you all a pint.
Cheers.

freaky 12:04 12 May 07

Glad to hear the problem is solved....have a good weekend.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…