Can I retrieve data from hard-drive of laptop

I have a Fujitsju Amilo D laptop. A freak accident catapulted a glass of water under the computer which was slightly raised in order to let in air. Well now it let in water... not much though but enough to disconnect the power supply of the laptop from starting the machine.

There is power but nothing much happens when it is turned on.

Any ideas for how/if it is possible to retrieve the data?

Many thanks

spanneress 17:44 03 Jan 05

Laptop HDD's are all the same physical size (execpt for the casings) so it is a fairly easy job to put your HDD into another laptop. If the laptop does not reach POST then it is not the HDD that is at fault...are their any beeps? Does the screen say anything at all?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:47 03 Jan 05

adapter cables to put laptop drive into desktop pc can be purchased approx £5 something like click here

interzone55 17:50 03 Jan 05

Adaptors to fit laptop hdd to a PC are fairly cheap
click here
This is £8.00 in Maplin.

Twice the laptop has begun the start up sequence, firstly just for a few secs - the Fujitsu logo etc - then off, but the second time right through to windows... but as I hastily arranging to back up it just flicked off again.

Now, as before, when the power button is pressed there is just a sound of the fan starting up and two of the lights (num lock/caps lock) flash for a moment, but nothing more.

What do you think?

anon1 18:21 03 Jan 05

stick it in the airing cupboard overnight and see if it dries out. best not put power too it for a while you may do more damage

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…