Can I restrict usage/time of certain programs?

splinternet 23:00 16 Mar 07

Is there an effective way, short of unplugging at the mains, of controlling the time of day that certain applications are available to certain user accounts? I'm going through what every parent with a home computer must also be experiencing - kids come home from school and promptly set up shop on MSN Messenger or Myspace for the whole evening. We have a family desktop pc (downstairs for obvious reasons) and despite my daughters' pleas for their own laptops with wireless internet connectivity, this is the only PC they're going to have access to. We're on BT Broadband Home Networking which came with some Gateway s/w from 2wire which is supposed to allow you to control each pc's access times to instant messenging or the whole internet, but this does not work properly. I would have thought there was something in Windows XP which would allow you to control each user's access by time of day to certain applications?

VoG II 10:23 17 Mar 07
  Batch 12:58 17 Mar 07

I've not tried this, so don't know how well it would work. But...

You could try installing the relevant software to a USB Pen Drive (and uninstalling it from the usual place C:\Program Files\.....).

That way you could control access to the Pen Drive and hence the software.

I don't know whether Windows might object in some cases when the Pen Dive isn't in place on boot.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac