can I restore without MS support?

Zebrapec 14:11 13 Aug 06

Hi,
1. I need to wipe my hard drives 2off
2. Will my System Restore Pack automatically wipe both drives.
3. Now Microsoft are not supporting win98, will I be able to install my win xp Home Edition on top of my System Restore Pack.

rawprawn 14:18 13 Aug 06

If you are going to install XP, the XP CD will format your HD as you install it. System restore will not wipe your Hard Drives.I hope that I have understood your question.

Zebrapec 14:22 13 Aug 06

my XP CD is an 'Upgrade' only and will it format both drives?

Zebrapec 14:38 13 Aug 06

rawprawn
I am confused because my Restore instructions say:
It will remove all data from your system and all personal inputted data will be lost.

James. 14:50 13 Aug 06

Your XP Upgrade disk will ask for proof of upgrade eligibility during the install, at which time you will need to insert a FULL version disk of Win 98 or later, I don't think a restore CD will do.

Your restore disks will set the PC back to factory default settings, therefore any application/update/saved data on the PC installed/saved after that date will be lost.

Your options appear to be to either restore your PC to factory state using the restore disks, and then upgrade to XP using the disk, or to borrow a full copy of Win98 onwards from a friend and install XP from your CD.

ACOLYTE 14:56 13 Aug 06

Im not sure what you mean by system restore pack.

But you dont need to install win98 when you are using the xp upgrade cd,all you need do is change the cd for the 98 cd when asked to verify the install and then carry on with the upgrade this is from a clean install.You can delete the partiton with the old OS on from this setup and start a fresh with XP.

If there is an OS already on the Hard drive then it will just update the OS when you incert the XP cd provided it is newer than the one you have already.You should get asked if you wish to save your old info so you can uninstall the upgrade at a later date if you wonted to.

As for the second hard drive you can format this in computer management from within XP when you have it up and running.

If this is not what you ment im sorry i didnt quite understand the question ))

Zebrapec 16:34 13 Aug 06

thank everyone, I think that answers my questions, but I will not tick the resolved just yet in case I get some more replies.
ACOLYTE The System Restore Pack is what was included with my computer and it restores WIN98 as supplied with my computer

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:43 13 Aug 06

1. I need to wipe my hard drives 2off
2. Will my System Restore Pack automatically wipe both drives.
3. Now Microsoft are not supporting win98, will I be able to install my win xp Home Edition on top of my System Restore Pack.

1. Why? Two separate hard drives or one drive with two partitions?

2. Using a restore disk supplied with the computer will only wipe the partition with the operating system a second physical drive may well be left untouched.

3. If you restore to factory settings and win 98 is reinstalled to the drive your upgrade disk will then allow you to upgrade to XP. MS will still allow acivation of XP onupgradefrom 98.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…