Can I replace my Cable modem with router??

Thatslife 18:52 16 Oct 07

I've just purchased a Netgear WGR614 with the intention of connecting my PS3 to my computer's internet connection.

Currently I connect to telewest blueyonder(Virgin Media)via a Motorola surfboard SB5100.

1st Q: Can I do away with the modem and just use the router??

2ndQ: The installation instructions assumes I connect using an Ethernet cable but I actually use a USB connection. Does this matter???

Can anyone help??

Thanks.

T

mgmcc 20:17 16 Oct 07

The Netgear WGR614's WAN port should be connected to the Cable Modem's ethernet port. The Modem's USB port is *NOT* used.

The PC, and any other devices going online, connect to the Router, either via one of its four LAN ports or "wirelessly".

Therefore Q1 - you cannot dispense with the Cable Modem, the Router connects to it.

Q2 - When using a router, you must connect by ethernet, not USB. Unless the PC doesn't have a network adapter installed, there is no good reason for using USB in any case, ethernet should always be used in preference to USB.

Also, ensure you follow the correct procedure when swapping connections to the Cable Modem:

Power everything off, including the Cable Modem which must be left without power for three or four minutes - this is IMPORTANT so that it loses the association between the existing connection (recognised by its MAC address) and the IP address that it has allocated to it.

Connect a network cable between the router's WAN port and the Cable Modem's Ethernet port. Connect a second network cable between the PC's network port and one of the Router's LAN ports. Power on the Cable Modem and, when fully booted with all lights displayed, power on the Router. When the router is fully up and running, boot the PC. The Cable Modem will recognise a new connection and allocate a different IP address to it.

If you now type the Router's IP address into your web browser you should be able to open its configuration pages to set it up for wireless networking. You do not need to be connected to the internet to access the router's configuration pages from your web browser.

As far as connecting to the ISP is concerned, "Cable" uses the very basic setting to connect and get its addresses by DHCP. In the Basic settings of the WGR614, it asks if your internet connection requires a Login and you select "No". That's basically it.

Ashrich 20:24 16 Oct 07

You will need to connect the Surfboard by Ethernet to be able to use the Netgear WGR614 , or any other wireless router you buy , you can ONLY use a router when you have an Ethernet feed going in to it , and the 614 won't replace the surfboard as it has no means of connecting to the internet on it's own . To be able to use the two together , you must power down the modem for at least 5 minutes to allow it to disassociate itself from he MAC address of your PC . While this is happening , power down your PC and attach the routers various cables and power supply , an Ethernet cable from the modem to the WAN port of the Netgear , then the same again to the Ethernet port of your PC . Power up the modem , when it has finished booting , power up the router , then boot the PC . Open your Internet browser and type into the address bar ..192.168.0.1 , that will take you to the set up pages in the Netgear , log in will be either admin and password or admin and admin for both . The wireless router will establish whether you have an Internet connection ( you have ) then you can go about setting up some wireless encryption to keep your connection privatr and stop people using it or getting on to your network .

Ashley

Ashrich 20:25 16 Oct 07

Ha ha ha ha , great minds ...fools etc. lol

Ashley

Thatslife 20:46 16 Oct 07

Great - I'll try shortly and let you know how I get on.

Oh one final question. As I'm disposing of the USB connection, I'm a cable down. Will a crossover cable do?????

Strawballs 22:22 16 Oct 07

No crossover cables are only for connecting 2 PC's directly it must be a straight network cable.

mgmcc 22:39 16 Oct 07

I've just tried with a "crossover" cable between Netgear WGR614 and PC and it does work, which means the WGR614 has "auto-sensing" ports. That being the case, either type of cable can be used.

Thatslife 16:08 18 Oct 07

Just to follow up...

I've got the router setup and the internet is working fine on my PC however it's asking me for a username and password to secure the network.

I've chosen a name for my network but I haven't chosen a password. Any ideas what this could be?

Ta

T

Ashrich 23:27 18 Oct 07

Do you mean a user name and password for the router log in ? If that is what it is , you can use anything as long as you can remember it , and you have a decent level of wireless security , preferably WPA encryption .For a random WPA generator , click here , copy and paste the generated key into your router security page AND into something like notepad , so it can be copied to your PC as well .

Ashley

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…