Can I remove my C drive?

Rogerfredo 11:00 21 Nov 04

I used to have windows ME installed on my C drive. When I upgraded to XP Home, this installed itself on my larger D drive, and for a time I was "dual booting".
Eventually, I decided to remove ME from C, which is now empty.
XP boots ok. However, I do get occasional problems like the failure to load microsoft.NET, which I have been told could be due to XP being on D and not C.
Question is, can I physically remove C drive without upsetting everything? Will windows still boot and will the various programs installed on other drives still be found?

LastChip 11:28 21 Nov 04

If C: was your "Master" drive when you installed XP, it will have written essential boot files to the first sector of C: (just a few bytes), but it's enough to stop XP from booting.

The real answer is, try it and see. Just take the cover off the machine and unplug the power and data cables to C: and see if it boots. If you get a message similar to "cannot find drive" (can't remember the exact message), you will know you can't remove the drive.

However, you should be able to make your existing D: drive bootable by using the "fixboot" command in the recovery console click here

LastChip 11:33 21 Nov 04

You need to make sure your D: drive jumper is set as "Master" (or Cable Select) and it is set as an active partition. If I remember rightly, you can do that from within Disk Management in XP. Sorry, don't have an XP machine here to check.

menorcarob2 11:35 21 Nov 04

if your programs are on the D drive just remove the C drive and change the jumper on the D drive to master, if you want to keep both drives change their position on the cable ensuring that the drive that is now D is at the end of the cable making sure that the jumpers are set to master, move the C drive to the middle of the cable and set the jumper to slave, the bios should see this and it will boot from the old D drive but on your system it will now read as the C drive.

Rogerfredo 12:12 21 Nov 04

Thanks for advice. I will try and get back to you.

Rogerfredo 12:12 21 Nov 04

Thanks for advice. I will try and get back to you.

Dorsai 12:54 21 Nov 04

If you take out the C drive, and set the D drive as master, yes, it will become your C drive.

But Windows will be looking for everything, including itself, on the D drive, which is no longer there.

I strongly suspect you will still have to have it labeled D, as all the programs will be looking for files on D.

Rogerfredo 16:08 21 Nov 04

I think I will leave it alone for now.
Thanks for replies.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…