Can I register a program via the Registry?

Jonno131 11:10 24 Nov 14

I have a copy of SuperJPG which I want to instal on a new PC. The program loads as a 30 day trial with the option to register. I have a username and code but apparently the program is no longer supported (Midnight Blue)so I can't register it. Is it possible to input the registration info direct into the Registry and if so what keys should I access? Thanks for any info.

Jollyjohn 11:30 24 Nov 14

Yes it is. You will need to find the registry keys on the current installation. A little bit of searching through the registry will be needed. Once found, copy the keys to a USB stick. Instal program on new pc, go to registry and copy keys across. May need a reboot for it to work.

Jonno131 14:26 24 Nov 14

Thanks both. I can't copy the keys for the registered program as I've scrapped the old PC. I still have the setup program and my registration passcode. Looking at the registry the current entries are (Default) REG_SZ and blank under data. I was hoping that I could create a key containing the passcode - or is that not possible.

Jollyjohn 16:10 24 Nov 14

I don't think it will work now, you need the old registry key that was generated when you completed the registration process.

Have a look in the registry for a date of installation key and after 28 days, go in and change this??

Even uninstalling and reinstalling may not work as there may be a key left behind to say you have already used the trial.

Jonno131 19:17 24 Nov 14

Thanks Jollyjohn

I think I have a disk image from a couple of years back on an old HD. I'll have a root around and maybe be able to pick something out of that. Looking at the original registration letter I see that I've been using the program since May 1999! Kind of like an old friend. Thanks for your advice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…