Can i reformat

rev.bem 22:42 16 Feb 03

I have recentley been given a 3-year-old time computer(in working order)
However the hard drive is full of junk and i think a reformat is in order.
I know said computer was reformatted about a year ago and a copy of ME was left on the hard drive.
I have the key (courtesy of Belarc)
My question is this. Wheh copied to disc can i use it to reformat as when it is loaded into the cd drive it does not auto run?

VoG™ 22:47 16 Feb 03

Note: the key given by Belarc is not the same as thre key on the CD.

rev.bem 22:58 16 Feb 03

Mr V

The key was from ME loaded on the pc does this mean yhe copy i have made will have a different key?

woodchip 23:11 16 Feb 03

What it mean's is if you do not have the CD and the proper key you are running illegally

rev.bem 23:17 16 Feb 03

Woodchip
If this was an illegal copy would windows updates be possible?

woodchip 23:23 16 Feb 03

Yes if you just run it as is, but you can get OS cheap click here

rev.bem 23:32 16 Feb 03

Woodchip
Aquick phone call tells me that the pc was formatted at a local pc shop(for local people :o])
I refer to my original question assuming the o/s is legit how can i reformat with a cd that will not auto run. If this is not possible i will strip the useable parts and bin it

Djohn 23:38 16 Feb 03

rev.bem, I think that VoG™ and woodchip are trying to tell you that it does not matter that the O/S is on the Hard drive, unless you have the original licence/product key in your possession, then it is not legal. It is this that you need not the CD itself, or a copy burned to your H/Drive. Regards. J.

woodchip 23:46 16 Feb 03

If you have the Win CD and Belarc gives you the right key that’s letters and numbers you can format the drive and reload from the CD go hear for a Boot disc to format and load the operating system click here

rev.bem 23:54 16 Feb 03

Woodchip
I beleive i have the 25 letter/number key i also have a boot disc bur how do i acess the cd when it will not auto run?

woodchip 00:00 17 Feb 03

You start with the boot disc it loads CD drivers then you can get at your CD rom in Dos but do not forget that the CD letter may change temporary example if it's D:\ it may now be E:\ until you get windows loaded

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…