Can I recover a lost Word document?

TimCDC 16:11 18 Apr 05

I have just accidentally "saved as" one document using the title of another - in other words, I have saved document X using the title document Y, but the trouble is, document Y already existed and has now been saved over. Quite apart from feeling a real numpty, I wonder, is there any way that I can recover the original file? Tim

Yoda Knight 16:20 18 Apr 05

you could try having a look through the temporary files and see if there was a backup made at any point, but I wouldnt hold my breath :(

TimCDC 16:32 18 Apr 05

..thanks Yoda, where would i find the temporary files?

Yoda Knight 16:35 18 Apr 05

There should be a Temp folder in your Windows directory that may have the backups

Yoda Knight 16:36 18 Apr 05

If you do find anything that looks promising, change the extension to .doc and open it

TimCDC 16:39 18 Apr 05

No joy, but thanks for the idea Yoda

I feel a bit of humble pie and admission to my colleague that I've lost our joint work....

:-(

unless anyone else can help?

Diemmess 16:42 18 Apr 05

Just for interest, though I don't think it will solve your problem!

Have you ever bothered to open a Word 2000 document with Notepad? (If the doc is too large it won't open!)

I believe the whole troubled history is there for those who understand the code......... As you scroll down through the gibberish you will see patches of readable text.........My point is that you might be able to copy and paste any critical data you might recognise there.

TimCDC 16:59 18 Apr 05

Just given it a try, Diemmess, and I can see all the new document but none of the old. Take your point though.
I've downloaded "Doc Regenerator" and it is currently scanning to see what it can find. Fingers crossed.

TimCDC 17:35 18 Apr 05

Couldn't get the trial version of doc regenerator to do anything constructive...so have given up and going home feeling sad for myself!

wiz-king 20:04 18 Apr 05

You could scan it in useing a scanner and an OCR prog, might be quicker than typing.

TimCDC 16:57 19 Apr 05

Nope, no hard copy. Will spend tomorrow morning trying to re-create the original document from memory. But thanks all for your suggestions

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…