Can I print out a list of file names in a folder?

vaughan007 21:59 06 Aug 03

Hello all.

I have a list of files that I have saved on to a CD.

What I would like to do is print out a list of the file names on this CD from windows explorer for example.

I have Windows XP.

How do I do this?

Cheers folks.

TBH1 22:21 06 Aug 03

Until very recently I had a utility called 'dirprt' - -did exactly that, would print contents of directories / subdiredtories - - this includes CD's - - -if no more answers on this mate I will endevour to find it for you.
Had to restore my system a week or so back and lost the little tinker - -had it backed up somewhere - - -but where ???

GroupFC 22:37 06 Aug 03

This is one way to do it click here

vaughan007 23:00 06 Aug 03

Thanks for your help.

I thought I was being stupid...but it would seem i wasn't as it is not a straight forward thing to do.

Its surprising Microsoft never thought of this one.

Thank you once again

TBH1 23:33 06 Aug 03

just found the beggar - - -426kb zipped, can send it to you or will look for web address - - your call mate

TBH1 23:36 06 Aug 03

right - - have a look click here

select the software thingy on left-hand side - - - this actually a version or two better than mine - but mine does exactly what it sez on the can - - -have a look.

pj123 23:44 06 Aug 03

You could also download PowerDesk 5 (free programme) from the PC Advisor download page which will do exactly what you want.

Eastender 00:28 07 Aug 03

Here's another way:-

1. Click Start | Programs | MS-DOS Prompt (or Command Prompt in Windows NT). (In WinXP, click Start | Run | and enter "command" (without the quotations) to get the MS-DOS prompt.)

2. At a command prompt, locate the drive that contains the folder whose contents you want to list. For example, if you want to create a text file that contains a list of the contents of a folder on drive C, at the command prompt, type "c:" (no quotes) and then press Enter.

3. While at the command prompt, locate the folder whose contents you want to list. For example, if you want to create a text file that contains a list of the contents in the Music folder on drive C, type "cd\" and press Enter. Then type "cd music" and press Enter. (Once again, don't type the quotes.)

4. Now type "dir > filename.txt" where filename is the name of the text file that you are creating. For example, if you want to create a file named mp3list.txt, type "dir > mp3list.txt" and press Enter. The text file that you create is located in the folder that you are in when you follow these steps. In this example, the mp3list.txt file is located in the Music folder.

5. To close the MS-DOS screen, type "exit" at the command prompt and hit Enter. Use a text editor, such as Notepad or Microsoft Word, to view or print this file. You could do screenshots using the PrtScr key, but if the list scrolls off the screen, it's tedious. Also, the file size will be larger than the text file.

wawadave 04:11 07 Aug 03

theres karen kenworthy,s list printer
do google its free ware and has many other free programs.

GroupFC 09:03 07 Aug 03

Thanks for pointing me In Karen's direction!

That looks very useful and much better than using screen print!

expertec 09:35 07 Aug 03

thanks very much, Directory Printer is excellent

Download it from click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…