Can I preset Firefox OR IE for a shortcut?

Chris the Ancient 17:54 10 Oct 05

Usually, I have all my explorer work done in Firefox coz I like the way it works.

But...

Every evening (at least) I have to access the 'company' website which will only work properly in IE.

What I would like to do is make it so that the desktop shortcut that I use to open my 'company' website automatically opens the link in IE. And only just this one shortcut.

Can it be done?

CtA

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:58 10 Oct 05

"Default browser" may be the problem here

right click the short cut and select properties sseif you can change it there.

mattyc_92 17:59 10 Oct 05

Yes, but I can't remember the shortcut.... I *think* it is something like....

"c:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.exe" click here

Maybe someone else could give you the correct one... I know it is VERY similar to what I added, just can't remember exactly what it is.

mattyc_92 18:01 10 Oct 05

sorry, my one is......

"c:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.exe" http:// www. yoursite.whatever

Obviouly no spaces in the website address.

mattyc_92 18:03 10 Oct 05

I have just checked what I thought it was, and I was right... So if you want to know what to put in more detail, just let me know.

Chris the Ancient 18:30 10 Oct 05

G-r-e-a-t!!!

It does it!

I had to fiddle a little to get the syntax 100% correct, but it's there and working.

Many thanks. You've made my life just a bit easier.

CtA

mattyc_92 18:34 10 Oct 05

You are very welcome...

Just wondering.... What problem were you getting, as I didn't have any problem at all?

Stuartli 18:41 10 Oct 05

All that was required was to open the web page involved and then drag and drop its URL on to the Desktop to create a shortcut.

Rename if necessary as required by right-clicking on the shortcut and selecting Rename from the menu.

This also works in Firefox and can be used to add links to Bookmarks.

Chris the Ancient 19:16 10 Oct 05

My problem? Incompetence and oen figner tpynig! I was trying to eat a couple of biscuits coz I was starving.

Stuartli... When I tried that, it still wanted to open in Firefox.

Stuartli 19:53 10 Oct 05

Just tried it - you are correct...:-(

There is a way round it though as a minute or two's messing about has revealed...:-)

First change IE to be your Default Browser. Then open the web page for which you want to create the shortcut,

Drag and drop the URL onto the Desktop and Rename if necessary. This time you'll find it will open in IE.

Go back to Set Programs and Access and revert to Firefox as your Default Browser.

Stuartli 19:54 10 Oct 05

>>Then open the web page for which you want to create the shortcut,>>

Do this, of course, with Internet Explorer open...:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…