Can I partition Drive C?

rickf 09:41 11 Sep 06

Hi All,
I have installed wins xp home and partition the hd nto C (135G) and E(100g). There is howeverm too much sapce in Drive C which has the OS. I want to allocate some more space to E from C w/in Windows. Can this be done w/in Windows? Thanks for help in advance.
rickf

scotty 10:59 11 Sep 06

I don't think xp has any capability to reduce the size of your C: partition. You will need to use some other software such as Acronis Partition Magic or you could boot your system from a "live" Linux cd and use tools available in Linux to reduce the size of the C: partition.

click here for info on use of Partition Magic.

ArrGee 11:04 11 Sep 06

This should do the trick, though I have not used it myself:
click here

woodchip 11:15 11 Sep 06

Yes but you would do well to use Acronis DiskDirector Suite 10 to do it click here

woodchip 11:16 11 Sep 06

Cheaper click here

ArrGee 11:27 11 Sep 06

How does Acronis compare to the free one suggested?

rickf 11:55 11 Sep 06

Thanks people. You have given me the info I need. Cheers

robgf 13:42 11 Sep 06

Hi,
ArrGee, Acronis is better than Partition Logic, but then you have to pay for it!!

Partition Logic will not run on everyones computer, because it is based on a independent OS, which doesn't support all hardware. But if it runs you should have no problems. Here are my notes after using it:

Free Partition Logic vo.61
A freeware partitioning program, what it can do varies depending on your file system and operating system, but generally speaking it can resize, create, delete, and move partitions. There are no instructions, so it is more suited to the experienced user, although it is easy to use. You have to burn the ISO file to a CD and boot from it.
I have run the program and it seems to work well, I have resized a partition and created a new partition. It is quite slow when partitioning, so don't panic if it appears to have frozen.
Read the limitations/features on the homepage:
click here

A better choice is the GParted live CD, this is almost a match for Acronis (In the partitioning department)and should meet most peoples needs, but is quite a large download at 30Mb.
My notes on GParted:

Free GParted Partitioner.
Burn the ISO image to a CD, the "live CD" will then boot to GParted using linux. The
partitioning software is as good as most commercial software and will resize, create and format, all common partition types. The help file is available under the button at the
bottom right of the screen(not under the help button, for some reason).
GParted is the same program that comes with most Linux distros, but with a decent help file. (unusual for open source)
click here

Rob. :)

ArrGee 15:04 11 Sep 06

Thanks for that robgf.

Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…