Can I mix RAM from different manufactures?

gttier 14:17 26 Sep 05

HI

I have just bought some new RAM from Crucial, and my next step is to buy some more RAM to boost the perfromance of my laptop.

Can I safely install a new RAM chip to work alongside my Crucial chip?

(I intend to buy some 2nd-hand chips to save costs!)

cheers

Gongoozler 14:20 26 Sep 05

You should be able to mix RAM from different manufacturers provided it is the same spec, and even different spec should work, but will work at the speed of the slowest. The advantage of buying from Crucial is that they guarantee that it will work.

Chegs ® 16:37 26 Sep 05

Unfortunately,Crucial no longer carry stocks of RAM suitable for my IBM laptop.I had a browse thru Ebay USA and found some sticks of suitable RAM for my laptop for a measly $15 + $10 postage.Then I had another look at UK prices,and was astounded to find that EXACTLY the same RAM sizes here were min £50 to £80.I'm presently waiting for my USA order arriving. :-)

Chegs ® 16:50 26 Sep 05

PS: I meant to add,I have 3x512Mbs DDR in my desktop,two from 1 mfgr,the other from a different mfg.I have had to quit using the 3rd stick,as I was sick of the strange behaviour(Monitor flicker/Random crashes/Errors during reinstall)Every time the RAM was asked to do a bit of extra work(video rendering/DVD ripping,etc)it misbehaved in a wierd fashion.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…