can i mix hdd rpms?

mattbell1975 21:32 29 Jan 03

i have a hdd at 5400 its 40gb so im wanting a new second hdd probably a 60gb or 80 but im wondering if i can use 7200 speed and would they be compatable or should i stick to 5400?? just the shop i go to has 7200 at same price....

DieSse 21:39 29 Jan 03

You can mix them any way you like. No problems at all. Get the 7200 drive, and have it as your main drive - you will notice the speed difference.

mattbell1975 21:42 29 Jan 03

ok so how can i copy everything over to the new drive???? then format my oldie and use that for loading sh£$ onto it???

interzone55 21:44 29 Jan 03

Shouldn't cause any problems.

I would transfer my Windows sawp file to the faster drive, this will speed up things a little.

To do this (in XP) go to control panel/System/Advanced/Performance Options/Virtual Memory click on Change button. Tell windows which drive you want the swap file to live on & what size you want it. Typically the swap file is about 1.5x your memory.

DieSse 23:47 29 Jan 03

If your new drive is a Seagate drive, you can download and use Disk Wizard. Or you can use XXcopy, or any drive imaging/cloning program.

Switcher 01:20 30 Jan 03

Use GHOST to clone old disk to new.

Do not fdisk new disk first that way Ghost will only only allow you to clone in the correct direction.

Then set new disk as master old as slave and format old to clean it out.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…