Can I load XP over ME?

QualBob 17:32 10 Jan 05

I'm sure I read on here (but I can't find it in search) that someone had just loaded XP over ME with no problems whereas a colleague tells me XP formats the hard disc before loading. Which is true? I'm going to load XP to see if it will sort out the USB probs I am having. I don't yet want to go down the road of new, partitioned hard drive and re-loading programmes..

Thanks

Jeffers22 17:41 10 Jan 05

But you will need to do just that unless the ME registry is incorporated into the new XP registry. I just do not know whether this would happen, but I doubt it. This would mean your new registry had no entries for all your programs.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:46 10 Jan 05

If you "upgrade" to XP rather than clean install then all your old settings and programs will still work ok.

The only difference as far as USB is concerned is different drivers.

USBMAN click here is an excellant place to look to solve your USB prolems

USB FAQ
click here

spikeychris 17:47 10 Jan 05

XP only formats the drive if you tell it to. Theres a difference between a clean install and an upgrade. click here for all the info you need.

spikeychris 17:48 10 Jan 05

ACOLYTE 17:49 10 Jan 05

You may be able to do this if you update from ME to XP as XP is the newer OS you might get this option.But you will i think need some new drivers for your hardware,xp has quite a good driver database built in but sometimes you need to download the drivers.Again im not 100% on this.

Rogerfredo 18:52 10 Jan 05

You can elect to keep ME when you install XP if you have the full or OEM version.
You will have to install on a seperate partition, and then you will get the option to load either OS when you boot up.

QualBob 19:07 10 Jan 05

Thanks to all who have replied really helpful stuff- the website that takes you through the upgrade (rather than install is excellent) I will try this when I get home - once I've got the network stack refreshed and internet working- don't ask!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…