Can I listen online to the USA/ UK police forces?

muscic lover 18:20 14 Mar 05

Does anybody know of a website that allows me to just listen to police and fire departments online using Windows media player or Winamp?

I would only be listening and not passing on any info or acting on anything... just interseted??

Also is it legal to do so? I am in the UK if that helps.!

Thanks you guys....

octal 18:30 14 Mar 05

You won't be able to listen to the police in this country because it is illegal to listen to licensed private services such as police and taxi radio transmissions. Listening in on such broadcasts is an offence under Section 5(1) (b) of the Wireless Telegraphy Act 1949.

You might be able to listen to the stateside police because the FCC regulations are more open than ours.

wiz-king 18:32 14 Mar 05

In the UK it is illegal but lots of people do listen, thats why the police are moving over to a system called Airwave that is encrypted, frequency hopping and evesdropper proof.

roy 18:37 14 Mar 05

I haven't tried it but does this page give you a start?

click here

muscic lover 21:37 14 Mar 05

many thanks, have been listening to the LAPD. Quite fun?!!

Buchan 35 22:59 14 Mar 05

I`m not in the least interested in why you should ask such a question, but I sincerely hope the criminal element of society never find out

Bagsey 23:15 14 Mar 05

I thought that answering questions about subjects which are against the law was frowned on by this forum. I am surpried that the FE has not taken the appropriate action.

p;3 00:37 15 Mar 05

you are aware that your movements on the internet are trackable and that all your web visits are moniterable; as Octal says, it is illegal to listen in to the Police in this country ( England); like others, I am rather surprised that F.E. has not yet locked your thread ; you may wish to reread the forum rules, copies of which are avaiable from F.E. ; any "non-Kosher" activity is a no-no on this forum; please do not ask members to be a party to illegal activities; and the police can track you down ; the saying is "if you cant do the time , dont do the crime"; and your ISP may also have words to say to you about all this, and possibly block your activities

isnt this a "HELPROOM" , people ask a question the probably dont know the answer to and everybody else tries to "help" them.

as the op said "allows him to" and " is it legal"

some of your comments are a bit over the top , and i dont really think the op was asking people to become criminals at all.

p;3 01:43 15 Mar 05

it aint legal and the forum rules frown on this sort of stuff:(

User-312386 01:44 15 Mar 05

Are you having a laugh?

The question was, and i quote "Does anybody know of a website that allows me to just listen to police and fire departments online using Windows media player or Winamp?"

Please don't try and scare people into thinking that the Police and his ISP will be chasing him through his front room.

Quite a good question and nicely answered by some people.

Just think that an answer like that is just not needed.

Had my say

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…