Can I legally use win Vista again.

Hetti 15:27 28 Jan 11

I have an old PC that had win XP installed also an old PC that had VISTA installed.
The PC that has XP is just about finished must be 7/8 years old, I dont use any of them but had them as a standby (also find it hard to get rid of anything),
my quesion is if I scrap the VISTA PC can I use VISTA on the PC that runs XP at the moment.
If the answer is yes is it easy to do?

GaT7 15:34 28 Jan 11

Yes, you can if you have:

1. A Retail Vista version
2. The original Vista install disc (or can borrow a suitable one)
3. The Vista Product key.

Before installing Vista, check that there are device drivers available for Vista, especially the motherboard. So if you tell us the XP PC's motherboard make & model number we can have a search for you & let you know. G

Terry Brown 16:35 28 Jan 11

I know widdows 7 has a one time user load (i.e. licence for one machine only).

The same may apply to Vista

It may load, but not be a able to be registered until you contact Microsoft and confirm that that original machine has now be scrapped (de-commisioned) and will no longer be in use.

Terry

Hetti 16:44 28 Jan 11

Thanks Crossbow7,

I will post when I have time to open up the PCs and If I decide to try this myself.

I do have three required items above, but not sure I have thhe skill, lol

I cant spoil anything as the PC's are old and as I said in first post one is definately past it.

GaT7 16:51 28 Jan 11

Simply set your XP PC to boot from 'CDrom first' in the BIOS & save changes.

Place Vista CD in DVD drive, & reboot.

The wizards are self-explanatory from there on, but if you get stuck, just give us a shout.

Here's a step-by-step Vista install guide with screenshots click here, which may be all you'll ever need. G

--------------------------------------------------

"It may load, but not be a able to be registered until you contact Microsoft and confirm that that original machine has now be scrapped (de-commisioned) and will no longer be in use."

Yes, definitely do what TB says that if you have trouble activating it.

Phone number if needed (& you're not offered a freephone one!): 0800 018 8354 - you'll probably get an automated response, which may be enough. But if you need to speak to someone their official opening times are Mon - Fri 8AM - 6PM. Also for the latter, keep holding on or pressing the 0 (zero) button on your phone to get to speak to someone. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced