Can I Install XP over XP?

jonmac 11:29 06 Nov 05

I have a PC with what turns out to be an illegal copy of XP. Can I install a legal copy of Xp over it or do I have to format my Software Partition and start from scratch?

ACOLYTE 11:31 06 Nov 05

I doubt it would let you install it over itself,it may do it you are upgrading from home to pro,but it just may prompt you to repair,i think the best bet is to format and do a clean install with the new disk.

Stuartli 11:32 06 Nov 05

How does it turn out to be an illegal copy of XP?

Did you buy it from a retail outlet? If so you have very good grounds for taking suitable action.

Normally doing an XP Repair would put matters right if you can provide the correct Product Key during the Repair.

jonmac 11:47 06 Nov 05

Thanks both for the advice. It's an inherited and several times upgraded PC, originally a Fujitsu bought in Tesco in '99 I believe. I'm thinking of building or buying a new PC anyway in the new year so maybe won't bother trying to legalise this one. It does critical updates but won't download other MS goodies because its a copy.
Thanks again.

Belatucadrus 11:49 06 Nov 05

I'd have thought an overwrite was possible, but would expect you'd need to reload the hardware drivers.

PaulB2005 12:31 06 Nov 05

Change the license key?

Keyfinder click here has an option (Options, Change License Key) to change your pirate key to a legitamate one. Migh be worth a go.

This is the info from MS on how that works. click here

Stuartli 12:38 06 Nov 05

An XP Repair retains all the configuration, settings, programs, applications etc.

During the progress to selecting Repair, XP recognises that there is already an example of XP on the system - you then choose whether to Install or Repair (NOT the Recovery Console by the way!) - and the Product Key is required during the Repair progress.

Depending on whether you have a slipstreamed XP + SP2 disk or not, SP2 will also have to be reinstalled and any updates issued since the release of SP2 about 15 months ago.

olderone 14:04 06 Nov 05

I had this problem,but when I purchased a new XP with SP2 the option to upgrade was advised by the computer!I entered new product key and installation proceeded as normal,activated over the internet,all emails and settings were as before.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…