Can I install Windows 98 software on XP?

leannelle 16:48 24 Mar 03

I have bought a laptop computer loaded with Windows XP and including Microsoft Works. As I do a lot of work from home, Works is not suitable, and I tried to install my copy of Office professional onto the new laptop. I keep getting a message saying that it is not certified as XP and may not be suitable - is it safe to continue? Buying another version of Office is just not a financially viable option.

« Ravin » 16:51 24 Mar 03

which version of office ? normally most versions of office work fine on xp .

Djohn 17:30 24 Mar 03

Not sure about all versions, but do know that Office 97 and office 2000 will work fine, and present no problems. J

leannelle 18:17 24 Mar 03

Thank you for your help - much appreciated

Ironman556 18:26 24 Mar 03

may or may not work, most will. If you have sometyhing that doesn't run properly, find the *.exe for that program, and right click and go through the options until you find "Compatibility Mode". You can then choose to run the program as it would in in 98, 95, 2000 etc.

(Sorry the instructions are vague but I'm on 98, but I've set up someone else's PC for them running on XP)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…