can i install win xp over win 98 without backin up

kezmo 20:24 09 May 03

i want to install windows xp onto my system im curently on win 98 and ive been told i may have to back up first was wondering if i could do it without backin up first or will i lose all saved info and files and programmes?

misery 20:44 09 May 03

lose anything BUT, just in case, it would be wise to back up any important data before the install. Be aware that XP does prefer to be on its own partition.

deecee50 20:53 09 May 03

Make sure you have all the xp drivers you need BEFORE you do it, especially the modem driver .

VoG™ 21:24 09 May 03

Yes but you should back-up anything important first.

andrew-236722 23:04 09 May 03

Hi, 1st...DO GET ALL THE DRIVERS 1st. Don't try and install WinXp before or you will be sorry.......!! When installing WinXP as an upgrade you will be asked if you want to backup all your win98 files anyway. As was said before, if you have a big enough hard drive try the dual boot and have Win98 and WinXp on at the same time. Works for us!

Finally regarding games..........most of them will play on the newer versions or releases of XP no problem.....were using old D.O.S games from 96 and its fine.

The beardude

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…