Can I install a SATA Drive without a floppy drive?

Longsightboy 10:51 13 May 04

I ask because none of my 3 PCs have a floppy drive and all my PC owning friends have none either!

However, I do have CD & DVD writers so, can I write the MaxBlast3 software (for a Maxtor 250GB SATA hard drive) to CD so I can boot from there instead?

Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro2
1GB DDR333 PC2700 RAM
CPU: Athlon XP 3000
Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB graphics card
2x Maxtor 120GB ATA/133 HDD
Windows XP Pro SP1 (all updates as of 13/05/2004)

Thanks for any help offered.

Longsightboy 10:59 13 May 04

Also, does anyone know if the motherboard has the 137GB hard drives limitation?

I want Windows XP Pro to see the full 250GB of my SATA hard drive!

€dstowe 11:19 13 May 04

Try the website of the maker of the SATA controller (PROMISE, possibly) you may be able to download the drivers from there. I know you can download IDE drivers so you may be lucky.

Regarding size limitations of your motherboard, have a look on the Gigabyte website click here

Longsightboy 15:53 13 May 04

Bump, Bump Bump

Longsightboy 23:59 28 May 04

Hope you guys can help me on this one.

Copied the SATA drivers to a floppy disc but, the Windows XP installer is saying "The file txtsetup.oem could not be found."

The file IS on the disc but, in a sub folder.

Do all the files need to be on the root directory?

Sorry if this an obvious question but, this is my first attempt at installing Win XP Pro on a SATA HDD of course, I've done it hundreds of times on normal ATA drives without problems.

Thanks in advance.

Longsightboy

Djohn 00:23 29 May 04

Can't help with your question Longsightboy but if you keep it on the first page by adding a small post to it as and when required someone will answer it for you.

It's not that your request is being ignored [Except for €dstowe] but most likely there are no members on-line at the moment who can help. Tomorrow should bring a result with luck. j.

TomJerry 01:43 29 May 04

You need Service Pack 1 for large disk support. You can Slipstreame Windows XP CD to include sp1 so large HDD can be supported. Do not know about SATA. Maybe you could try usb memory stick.

TomJerry 02:46 29 May 04
  ste_bla 08:04 29 May 04

My Gigabyte mobo could boot from a USB floppy disc... You can get them around 20-25 mark...

Chegs ® 09:56 29 May 04

I sometimes get this message "The file txtsetup.oem could not be found." when I'm reinstalling my OS,if I eject the floppy disc and reinsert it then the prob goes away.It seems to be caused by XP looking to the floppy "too soon"

Longsightboy 23:17 29 May 04

Had to put the files on the root directory and that did the trick.
Now, a few more questions!

In the Advanced BIOS Features of the bios

First Boot Device

1. What should the boot sequence be now for the SATA disc?
(It will be the C: drive of course but, not as a RAID system)

My old options were:

1. Floppy (disabled of course)
2. HDD-0
3. None

New boot options should be..?

1.SCSI or, HDD-0 (or is HDD-0 for IDE Drives?)

If I choose SCSI as one of the boot options, a further option below the 3rd boot device is ungreyed out.

SATA/RAID/SCSI

How do I set it up as then?

Boot device

SATA / SCSI or, SCSI / SCSI

Thanks again for the help everyone has offered so far.

Longsightboy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…