Can I install another Hard Drive?

ShorN 01:45 15 Nov 04

hi all, hoping you can help me out once again!

I have a compaq presario 6000 series (AMD) desktop, which originally came with 80gb hd. Im now starting to find that its not enough and was wondering If i can install another?

I looked in my case and there is a slot below the existing one for it to fit, and another connection on the wide (IDE?) cable going to the motherboard. There is also a spare "bundle" of wires coming from the power supply. (the same looking ones that are going to the existing HD)

Am i right in thinking that it would be possible to connect up another hd with these free connections, setting the new drive as a slave.

Any help would be really appreciated!
THanks

hugh-265156 01:58 15 Nov 04

yes you can.

attach your new drive to the middle of the 'primary' ide cable your other hard drive is already attached to and set its jumpers to 'cable select' or 'slave'

set your current hard drive to 'cable select' or 'master' either one should already have been set.

if both are set to 'cable select' then depending on which end of the ide cable they are attached to they will assign thier correct rolls as master or slave. the one on the end of the ide cable is master, middle connector (half way along ide cable) is slave just check the jumpers.

when you attach it then boot into windows, im guessing you have xp here then click 'start/control panel/administrative tools/computer management/disc management' then right click your new disk and select 'format'

ShorN 02:11 15 Nov 04

Thanks for teh quick response, and thats good to know!

Also, ive heard things about xp not recognising anythying over 137gigs? is this the case?

Thanks again!

hugh-265156 02:18 15 Nov 04

ps. see 'Configuring Internal Storage Devices' video half way down page click here#_ may help you with the physical install a wee bit maybe.

hugh-265156 02:21 15 Nov 04

i think (and im guessing here) if you purchase a disk drive over 137GB then if you purchase a pci ide card this gets around this size problem.

ShorN 02:29 15 Nov 04

thanks for the help. I think im gonna go for a 120gig anyways so it shouldnt really matter.

The vids are quite useful aswell thanks!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Glassworks Barcelona shows how it captured the artistic imagination of Conor in A Monster Calls

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…