Can I have two Networks?

Antz 22:05 27 Aug 03

Having toyed with the idea of networking my laptop and Home p.c I have come with the following idea.I have successfully networked the two of them for the transfer of large files such as video and music files using firewire connections. But I would now like to also set up a wireless network between the two particularly for sharing an internet connection from my laptop to my p.c from anywhere in the house. My question is simple; is it possible to create two individual networks between two computers by using the two different methods mentioned. I understand that only one can be functional at any time but am I going to create something so confusing that it would not be worth the hassle. If so then the wireless is my preffered option and how do I remove a network connection ( Firewire) once it has already been created.

Paranoid Android 22:10 27 Aug 03

I would suggest that once you have the wireless network connection functioning, the firewire connection will become redundant.

jazzypop 22:20 27 Aug 03

Yes, you can have both networks at the same time.

You can also bridge the two, so that you can use the firewire segment to connect from the laptop to the PC, and from there go from the PC to the Web via your ADSL or Cable connection.

I agree that being tethered by a 2-metre Firewire cord rather defeats the point of using a laptop, when compared to the freedom of roaming with the laptop via a wireless network.

But, Firewire's top (theoretical) speed is 400Mb/s, and WiFi(b) is 11 Mb/s - Firewire wins hands down for fast transfer of large files.

The 'ideal' solution might be to install a wireless router, and a wireless network card in both PC and laptop - use this for day-to-day usage. Then just hook them up via Firewire for the odd occasion when you need to transfer large files.

Antz 22:53 27 Aug 03

thanks for that jazzypop, do I need a router when networking only two computers?, I thought that was only required when linking three or more...

roy 22:59 27 Aug 03

You would not need a router for two pc's but if the laptop is using the other as an internet gateway then that machine would need to be online for the laptop to go online. With a router either machine could go online whilst the other could remain switched off.

jazzypop 23:03 27 Aug 03

You don't need one - but it is useful.

When you connect each PC to the router, each PC can access the Internet via the router independently of the other.

If you link each PC directly to each other (wired or wireless), the 'gateway' PC has to be switched on to allow either PC to access the Web.

It's just a matter of convenience - if they will both be switched on at the same time anyway, then a wireless card in each will do the trick (or a crossover Ethernet cable). If you have to switch both on just to acess the web on the laptop....

There are other benefits that you can get from having a router, such as a built-in print server (connect the printer to the router, printing always available), enhanced security from a hardware firewall, remote administration of your network and access to your files, etc, etc

Paranoid Android 23:27 27 Aug 03

Antz - I think maybe you are getting a router confused with a switch (or hub).

A router is only required when you want to connect an existing network to an ISP's network.

If you only have 2 machines you can set up a peer-to-peer network using crossover cables, and then share the internet connection on one machine with the other. Disadvantages - the host machine must always be switched on. Advantages - cheaper, no router required.

Antz 23:28 27 Aug 03

Thanks guys for the help,I think I have all the info I need.

Paranoid Android 23:28 27 Aug 03

Ooops Doh - or of course you could use wireless networking technology instead of the crossover cables. (Sorry, forgot).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…