can i have too much protection :- antivirus ?

woofwoofbark 23:50 28 Mar 05

I read through regularly and have read that too much protection can cancel out other programs that are running , i.e.:- 2 antivirus / firewalls ... , is it ok to have 2 antivirus running on the taskbar , can they cancel each other out ? or can I just load one and , if i wanted too , run a virus scan with another antivirus ?

Paranoid Android 23:55 28 Mar 05

Personally I would stick to one. Antivirus and firewall programs can embed themselves into the operating system very deeply, and using more than one can sometimes confuse matters.

If you want extra assurance there are numerous online scans that can be used.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:59 28 Mar 05

2 AV progs will conflict and may cause yor PC to stop responding. This is because most of them run "resident scanners" in the background whenever the PC is switched on.

1 firewall outgoing aswell as incoming protection required windows outgoing only Zonealarm out and in.

1 AV prog keep uptodate and scan regularly

any number of antispyware preferably one blocker, eg spywareblaster and at least one checker, eg MSantispy.

Jak_1 00:23 29 Mar 05

Agree with Fruit Bat /\0/\, there is little to be gained by using more than one AV and firewall. As he say's they can conflict with each other. On the other hand, antispyware is a diff kettle of fish. What one prog misses another will pick up, so 2 or 3 antispyware progs are fine.

Running 2 firewalls and 2 AV's is just using up resources, stick to one of each and what you are happy with.

woofwoofbark 00:57 29 Mar 05

I am running windows firewall (SP2)and Zonealarm firewall plus avast and AVG free home editions , which firewall/antivirus would you recommend too keep/uninstall ?

Completealias 01:09 29 Mar 05

Keep zonealarm switch off windows firewall. I use avast offers instant message protection whereas AVG does not

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:08 29 Mar 05

ZoneAlarm click here - Avast click here - MSantispy click here - SpywareBlaster click here is all I now use.

A2 click here good for trojans

poogles_uk 12:13 29 Mar 05

Plus, multiple items eat up your resources.

dogbreath1 13:51 29 Mar 05

If you want to use AVG as an ad-hoc scanner, you can disable the Resident Shield and Email Scanner in AVGs control panel. The program will continue to update it's definitions etc. (if you have configured it so to do) and you can run a manual scan at will. This does not then put it in conflict with Avast. Fruit Bat/\0/\'s list is sound but I would add Spybot S&D as a spyware scanner and SpywareGuard (running in real time alongside MS Antispyware) as your initial malware shield. The use of a Hosts File, Firefox browser, Prevx and PeerGuardian can be added (as I have done) but it could be argued that it's going over the top!!:-) If you need any links please post back.

woofwoofbark 20:16 29 Mar 05

Adaware se personal

all free from the net , is this enough protection or should i chop and change ?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ :- is MSantispy freeware ?

cheers for your info everyone

woofwoofbark 20:18 29 Mar 05

from what i have read on , the main opinion is that the freeware programs are every bit as good as the programs you can purchase , is this true ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…