Can I have my index.html back?

Graham ® 15:52 01 Feb 05

I deleted all the web pages on my site click here to start again, but I can't publish anything now, presumably because I don't have an index file. But it won't let me create one click here

I have logged in.

Graham ® 15:54 01 Feb 05

Always forget! Click bottom right to enlarge.

Graham ® 17:10 01 Feb 05

Thanks, the old drag and drop seems to have done the trick!

Graham ® 18:53 01 Feb 05

Slow but sure! How can I make this click here become this click here as my home page?

PurplePenny 20:06 01 Feb 05

The page that you want as your home page must be called index.html (or .htm but .html on PlusNet). When a brower goes looking for w w w what it looks for is the file called index.

Rename CatsforAdoptioninSheffield.html as index.html and it will be your home page.

Did you keep a copy of your original pages that you built with the PlusNet wizard? If so I would suggest that you use CuteFTP to upload them to your website so that you have working pages in place on the live site. Then you can spend time on the new pages and upload them once you are finished. You don't need to put pages on to your live site to see what they will look like; just open them in your browser.

Remember that when Cute connects to your site it will show the htdocs folder. You have to double click that to open it then upload the files from your end. The PlusNet wizard automatically created an images folder so if you do put back the PlusNet wizard version the photos will have to be uploaded in to the images folder again.

BTW - the publishing problem with Nvu seems to be a problem with the latest build because the forum is full of messages recent from new users having the same error 550 problem.

Graham ® 20:21 01 Feb 05

Blimey, you make it sound so simple! I will do that renaming tomorrow.

I have a trial version of Macromedia Contribute 3, sorry if I seem to be jumping around, but I need to get this site up as soon as possible.

Forum Editor 23:57 01 Feb 05

I've taken the liberty of doing a bit of work for you.

You had a folder called index.html and you had placed your page inside it - that's why it wasn't loading. I have renamed the folder to 'index_old' and I've put the index.html file outside in the htdocs folder. I have also moved the images folder from inside the index_old folder and placed it inside htdocs.

You'll now find that everything works - the page you wanted to load as your homepage is doing so, but of course you'll need to do some work on it - there's no page heading as yet. I imagine that you'll also want to alter the mm crafts image that loads in the logo position to something more appropriate.

I hope that's of some help - I'm short of time - but if you need some more paractical help just post back here and I'll see what I can do at some point. You seem to be getting excellent advice from Penny and fourm member in any case.

Forum Editor 00:00 02 Feb 05

that when you're ready you can safely delete the index_old folder to save any confusion.

Graham ® 09:30 02 Feb 05

Thanks for that. I'm probably rushing along too fast, not knowing what I'm doing.

I will rebuild the page and replace the existing one.

Forum Editor 17:45 02 Feb 05

My advice, for what it's worth, is that you get hold of a copy of NetObjects Fusion, or Microsoft FrontPage, and experiment. Build a site using one of the themes/templates, and you'll find that you can achieve something pretty respectable in a fairly short space of time. That will take the pressure off, so to speak, and you can get down to refining your site at leisure.

Graham ® 18:01 02 Feb 05

I've moved to a trial version of Macromedia Contribution 3, on the recommendation of a neighbour. Unfortunately there is a lot of clutter on the server that I've been unable to clean up, and I can't publish to my click here now.

I managed to publish a draft at http://w w which worked for a while, but has now stopped.

All I want initially is one page from my URL. Is there some way I can get the server back to square one?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…