can i have more than one graphics card plugged into a computer?

StevenE586 19:07 22 Oct 11
Answered

can i have more than one graphics card plugged into a computer?

aquatarkus 19:23 22 Oct 11

Yes you can if your computers motherboard has dual PCI-e x16 interface card slots. if you have an older motherboard with only an AGP graphics slot then you might still be able to obtain a PCI graphics card. If you motherboard only has 1 x PCI-e x16 slot then it might have a PCI-e x1 interface slot and there are a couple of x1 PCI-e graphics cards available.

what motherboard / pc do you have? I,m presuming you are asking this in responce to your other post about external graphics cards for laptops.

Regards

Aquatarkus

Terry Brown 19:29 22 Oct 11
Answer

You have 2 threads running with similar questions.

I assume you have 2 graphic card slots on your computer, or are you talking about using the onboard graphics and a plug in card?

As far as I am aware when you plug in a graphic card it automaticly disconnects the on board graphics.

You can run two monitors from the same graphics card, however unless it is a very powerful computer and a good card and all you want to run is office software, it is not advisable.

If you try to run 2 lots of graphic programs, you may well get poor quality on both.

Terry

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? Why upgrade to Windows 10? Is Windows 10 good? The pros and cons of!…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Illustrator Rachel Lillie discusses how she draws, and the beauty of quietness

macOS Sierra vs Windows 10 comparison: Apple and Microsoft's latest OS releases go head to head |…