Can I have 2 modems working on my PC?

Esc4p3 08:52 19 Mar 08

We have been using the same email addresses with the same Internet provider (Virgin) on dial-up since we first started using email in the mid-90's. However, we are now looking at moving over to broadband.

I believe that I will not be able to pick up my old email from Virgin's servers once I move providers, so I can either change email addresses (not ideal) or try and run both. If I keep the dial up modem to pick up my emails, and then use the broadband modem/router for everything else, will there be any conflicts, is it possible to have 2 modems on the same PC.

I have a high spec dual core system, MS Vista, and the dial up modem is a serial US Robotics jobby. What are your thoughts?

MAJ 09:04 19 Mar 08

You can use both, but obviously not at the same time. When you move providers, change your old Virgin SMTP address in your email client (Outlook Express, etc.) for that of your new email provider's SMTP address, that will [usually] allow you to use your old provider's (Virgin) email address with your new provider. Most providers will keep your account open if you sign into your account every now and then, usually every 60 to 90 days. Keep your old dialup modem to do that.

TonyM 10:09 19 Mar 08

You will still be able to recieve your Virgin emails through another provider - I have been doing exactly that for years - you just add it as an Account in Outlook/Outlook Express as MAJ says.

Esc4p3 12:29 19 Mar 08

Wow, result thanks guys. Didn't expect that I would be able to do that :-)

setecio 13:21 19 Mar 08

Find out from them how often you ned to sign in via dial-up to keep it alive.

If you don't then you're taking a chance as they may or may not close your account and thus your email address.

Esc4p3 09:09 20 Mar 08

Virgin have said that I need to dial in every 60 days to keep the account 'alive', so that doesn't seem too bad

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…