Can I Format a New Hard Drive Via a USB2 Caddy?

swanson2 00:54 27 Mar 05

Hi,

Can anyone advise me if it is possible to format a new unformatted hard drive in an external USB2 caddy.

Some years ago when I tried this I finished up removing a drive from my PC and plugging in the new one.

After formatting, the new drive was recognised and worked OK in the USB2 caddy.

I would like to avoid the hassle of dismantling my PC if possible and would therefore welcome any comments.

Thank you.

Diemmess 10:51 27 Mar 05

I too used to use the substitution routine to format a new HD, but more recently have had a hard time doing this with large HDs.

In the end have reverted to the old method only so that I could use the manufacturer's own software downloaded onto a floppy. That does all the patitoning and formatting in a very short time.

Only snag is that such floppys tend to be very keen on supporting only their own brand, and might not work if your primary drive is not of that family.

swanson2 11:48 27 Mar 05

Thanks for that Diemmess.

I read somewhere that by using (in XP) Administrative Tools/Computer Management/Disk Management the unformatted disk in the external USB Caddy would be identified but without a drive letter.

If I then right click on this I should be able to select format.

When my new Hard Drive is delivered I will give this a try and let you know what happens.

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:57 27 Mar 05

I have 2 external HDs and each worked 'out of the box' and needed no formatting but if you need to do the following..........(right-click) My Computer > Manage > Disk Management > (right-click) the external drive and select "Format" > Choose whether you want a "Quick Format" or "Enable File and Folder Compression".

G

dan11 12:19 27 Mar 05

When you get your hard drive and try to format, you MAY not have the option to format.

If this occurs you can use the wizard to get you up and running. This thread click here in the later stages has information on how to complete the wizard.

Hopefully the format and partition tools will be available straight away.

Good luck.

swanson2 12:42 27 Mar 05

Thanks for that everyone.

I now feel much happier about my new external Hard drive purchase!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…