can i format a hard drive then copy contents

pinka 14:52 15 Sep 03

.... from another drive ?

pj123 14:55 15 Sep 03

Yes, but what to you mean exactly? Do you want to copy the whole drive including the O/S and all the programmes or just selected files? There are different ways of doing this. What Operating System are you using. What size are the hard drives? etc....

pinka 14:56 15 Sep 03

whole drive os etc

pinka 15:04 15 Sep 03

windows xp pro

Kryten 15:05 15 Sep 03

Somebody on here posted this a while ago and it worked for me, but this was not done with Windows XP so I do not know if it will work with XP.

If you would like to clone your hard drive using the DOS command Xcopy, be sure the drive you've installed in the slave position as Drive D, has a primary partition and is formatted. You will need to format a used drive by opening My Computer, right click Drive D, select Format > Full and select Display summary and Copy System Files.
When your drive to be copied to is formatted, close all open programs and go to Start > Run type Xcopy C:\*.* D:\ /c/h/e/k/r, click OK.

A DOS window will open to your desktop and when you are queried about overwriting, simply answer "yes" each time.

You are instructing the computer to copy all the files (*.*) from your filled hard drive called C to the your newly formatted hard drive called D. While copying, your added instructions (/c/h/e/k/r), that are called "switches", instruct the computer to copy attributes, read-only files, all sub-directories, hidden files, system files and to ignore errors.

When you've finished copying your drive over to a new drive, shut down your system. Place your newly created drive in the C position, re-position the driver jumpers to "master". You can now opt to store your source drive, re-use it elsewhere, or change the jumpers to the "slave" position, format it and install it as your new, fresh drive D to add extra hard drive space to your computer system.

A limitation to the DOS Xcopy command is that it can only copy over a single partitioned area from your source drive at a time.

If you're in the market for a larger drive, copying over your system to the new drive can make your upgrade simple and easy.

Say your system is corrupted, and maybe you could benefit from a clean install? Then the best advice you could ever consider acting upon would be to copy that clean install onto a spare hard drive for use when you need it someday. You could store it inside your computer or in the closet, but having a complete backup accessible to you will make your most devastating computer nightmare a mere glitch that you could fix in minutes.

pj123 15:23 15 Sep 03

Yes, that was me Kryten xcopy doesn't work with XP. You would have to go to click here and download xxcopy which works in the same way as xcopy but will work with Win XP. With this system there is only one switch and the full command is: xxcopy c:\ d:\ /clone. and then press enter.

SEASHANTY 15:34 15 Sep 03

^

pinka 15:41 15 Sep 03

so what would i do fit the 2nd hard drive then run this program

spikeychris 15:43 15 Sep 03

have to disagree. Xcopy does work with XP.

pj123 16:12 15 Sep 03

Thanks for your commens spikeychris but I build 6 computers a day and I have 2 other engineers also building 6 computers a day and we haven't been able to get xcopy to work with XP. We use two master disks to set them up for testing purposes. One is Win98SE which we use xcopy for and the other is Win XP which we have found doesn't work with xcopy so we use xxcopy. My next build I will try xcopy again for Win XP and report back.

spikeychris 16:12 15 Sep 03

You don't have to have anything on the other drive, it just has to be formatted.

If the drive you want to copy is the C:/ drive and the disk you want to clone to is the D:/ drive then the formula from pj123 is correct
ie:

xxcopy c:\ d:\ /CLONE

Once cloned you could use incremental backups..ie only copy whats not already been copied. You would add the /BI switch.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…