Can I format a flash drive?

Pineman100 18:34 01 May 06

I have a 1GB Buffalo USB 2.0 Flash Drive, that has some corrupt files on it which Windows refuses to delete, because it can't recognise them.

Can I simply used the Windows "Format" command to wipe the drive clean? I realise that I will lose all files on the drive, but I just want to be sure I won't mess up the drive if I do this.

I use Windows XP SP2 Home.

Thanks for your advice.

beynac 18:40 01 May 06

I have an Integral USB 2.0 flash drive. I reformatted this with no problems at all when I had a similar problem.

Pineman100 18:47 01 May 06

Thanks for that. You describe yours as an "Integral" flash drive - I presume that's just the brand name? We are talking about a little USB plug-in "pen" drive?

skidzy 18:48 01 May 06

Have you tried to plug in the flash drive,windows should give the option (Open Folder to view files) then all i do is delete the files from there.

Alternatively you can format the flash drive by right clicking the drive via my computer,this will give the option of quick format,this is what i use.

Hope this helps

beynac 22:23 01 May 06

Yes, Integral is the brand name. As you say, just a little USB plug-in pen drive. I used the right-click/Format.. option described by skidzy.

Pineman100 09:12 03 May 06

Many thanks for your advice. I'll go ahead and format it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…