Can I Fix My Corrupt Windows Installation ?

Tinkey Winkey 15:45 01 Jan 06

I need to fix a corrupt Windows XP after overclocking the FSB on my CPU - a common occurence if you do not lock the PCI & AGP buses whilst increasing the CPU FSB beyond 200mhz on certain motherboards.

I can use the pc except that I can't defrag the hdd so it's getting very slow to use.
The Windows Recovery Console doesn't work - it says that it can't find any hdds installed - perhaps because it is a sata drive ?

Used the Command Prompt from within Windows and typed CHKDSK/F but it says cannot run because the volume is in use - would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the pc starts ? ( Yes )
When I restart the pc I get a brief message saying autochk program not found - skipping AUTOCHK and then loads windows.

Presumably I need to get into a Command Prompt so I can try FIXMBR & FIXBOOT but don't know how to ?

How can I repair Windows so I can defrag my pc without wiping the disk & losing my documents etc ?
Reformat & reinstall is a last resort !

woodchip 15:53 01 Jan 06

If You have a XP disc Put it in Computer, then type at Run

SFC /SCANNOE

woodchip 15:54 01 Jan 06

Sorry SFC /SCANNOW

Tinkey Winkey 16:31 01 Jan 06

Thanks woodchip
Ran the Windows File Protection thingy and reebooted but the 'autochk prog not found' is still there.

Retried defraging and also using the windows command prompt to CHKDSK/F but it says it's unable to lock the volume.

The volume is in use - would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the pc starts ? Yes (but it can't find it !)

Anything else - can I lock the drive so I can run chkdsk/f from a cmd prompt ?

woodchip 16:36 01 Jan 06

Only thing you can do is run a Repair with the XP disc click here

Tinkey Winkey 16:41 01 Jan 06

Except that the Windows Recovery Console doesn't work - it says that it can't find any hdds installed - perhaps because it is a sata drive ?

Why can't it see my hdd ?

woodchip 16:44 01 Jan 06

Have you loaded the Drivers?

Tinkey Winkey 17:01 01 Jan 06

?

Stuartli 17:22 01 Jan 06

An XP Repair doesn't involve the Recovery Console - in fact you SHOULDN'T choose this option.

A Repair will maintain your applications, programs, utilities and configuration, but you might also have to reinstall SP2 afterwards.

Set the Bios to boot from CD-ROM and put the XP disk in the drive before Saving and Exiting in the Bios.

The link above will tell you the rest of the (simple) procedure.

Chegs ®™ 18:01 01 Jan 06

You need to install the SATA driver from floppy to use Recovery Console,if its not picking up the SATA drives during standard boot to RC.

The CHKDSK utility should also detect the SATA drives if your XP is already installed onto them.

The FIXBOOT and FIXMBR won't be of use as your SATA drives use a different MBR to an IDE.If you use these cmds,chances are you'll find XP no longer boots at all.

A longwinded way to fix your XP is with a Barts PE Boot CD,click here I use one to fix a variety of self induced XP problems,and have used it to repair the registry,remove nasties,etc on a few PC's brought here for rectification.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…