Can I fax documents free online.

mother inferior 14:29 19 Jan 04

Cheapskate alert.

I need to fax 4 or 5 pages of documents to PayPal and am loath to pay the £1.50 per page charge at the local video shop. Is there any website that allows you to fax documents free of charge? All the free services I have found only allow you to fax text.

Thank you :)

GrahamP 14:39 19 Jan 04

XP has fax facilities. As long as you can scan your documents in you can fax them. It's not installed by default. Windows XP Help says:

"Using FaxFax provides you with complete fax facilities from your computer. You can configure fax settings, send and receive faxes, track and monitor fax activity, and access archived faxes. Using Fax, you can choose to send and receive faxes with a local fax device attached to your computer, or with a remote fax device connected to fax resources located on a network.

Fax is not installed by default during Windows Setup.

To install the Fax component
Open Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel.
Click Add/Remove Windows Components.
In the Windows Components Wizard, select the Fax Services check box, and then follow the instructions on your screen.
Notes

To open Fax after installation, click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to Communications, and then click Fax Console.
For more information on using Fax, click Help in Fax Console. "

Baslla321 15:36 19 Jan 04

As far as I know you can only send fax thru a telephone line via a modem. I have win PX on cable but cant send a fax

mother inferior 16:27 19 Jan 04

I'll try that on the mother-in-law's PC - she's got XP.

Baslla321 - would a modem (of the type you use to get online) on a BT line work?

Sheila-214876 16:29 19 Jan 04

Not free but if you have an analogue modem the setup disk that came with it would probably have Supervoice on it, which once installed will enable you to send faxes at your Telephone providers normal rate. You can send faxes using Supervoice with any programme that has a print mode on it. ie. Word, Excel, Paint Shop Pro etc... I use Supervoice for sending faxes but I use Trinite for receiving faxes via my email Inbox. Costs me £23 per year but at least I don't have to have my computer switched on to receive faxes. Trinite can be found at click here

mother inferior 16:43 19 Jan 04

I'll have a scout about for Supervoice :)

Sheila-214876 17:04 19 Jan 04

If you can't find it let me know, I have a few modem install discs with Supervoice on. email me your address and I will post you one.

Stuartli 17:04 19 Jan 04

All versions of Windows from 95 on have excellent fax facilities - 95 and 98 had Awfax.exe and wms.exe.

Windows Messaging Service (wms) is virtually the same interface and layout as Outlook Express and very easy to use - XP's Fax Console is also straightforward. All have cover pages layouts and you can also design your own.

If you want a free fax to e-mail service to receive faxes (necessary if you only have dialup or broadband), then Tiscali offers such a facility.

You are given an 0871-xxx-xxx number as your personal fax number to put on your sent faxes - anyone sending you a fax contributes a small proportion of the phone call to Tiscali so it can get some financial benefit from its service.

jon2 17:11 19 Jan 04

I use faxmail, you can send fax's any where for free from xp

Sheila-214876 17:16 19 Jan 04

To take advantage of Tiscali's fax service you have to be a customer of their internet service.

Stuartli 17:23 19 Jan 04

You will need a fax modem, rather than a straightforwrd one, to send faxes.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…