Can I expect probs with Talk talk and wi-fi

geewis357 20:35 18 May 09

Hi guys, I will in a few days be converting a laptop from hard wired to wi-fi for a friend. as far as I am concerned it should be quite simple just to buy an adsl wi-fi router (lnksys same as mine)then add a second laptop and all should be fine, someone has told me that I have to obtain the oficial talk talk equipment is this true or am I corect. OS Vista home.

woodchip 21:48 18 May 09

No I use a 3Com Router to connect, I did not use the software either, you only need the User Name and Password to install into the Router Setup Page.

woodchip 21:53 18 May 09

If you are running Wireless set the Router up first using the supplied Ethernet Cable, then when you have it running start the Wireless part in Setup Page of the Router not forgetting that you need to use Encryption so no one else can use the router that does not have the Encryption key set it as WPA not WEP

geewis357 21:53 18 May 09

thanks woodchip, you have answered my question, the reson I use lnksys is that mine has so far performed for the last 3 years without fault, but as u say its just username and password for the setup, many thanks

AL47 21:56 18 May 09

we use a netgear router, was nothing different to any other isps ive done

Stuartli 00:26 19 May 09

You don't have to purchase TalkTalk's equipment for use with its service - however, it does list some equipment that is not compatible.

See:

click here

plus

click here

Also note that the MTU for TalkTalk (and AOL) is 1432. See:

click here

and

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Best iMovie for Mac tips 2017 | How to edit video with iMovie: 26 brilliant video editing tricks…