Can I easily upgrade laptop's wi-fi adaptor?

Pineman100 17:48 PM 22 Oct 12

I've found an Acer Aspire V5 laptop that I'm interested in buying. Its spec. seems to cover everything I need, with one exception - the wi-fi spec is listed as 802.11b/g. I want 802.11n.

I have fitted a new hard drive and memory to a laptop in the past, but I have no idea whether it is equally simple to fit an improved wi-fi adaptor. Is this straightfoward? Any idea what the adaptor would cost me?

Many thanks for any advice.

difarn 18:02 PM 22 Oct 12

You may find this article interesting - the cost will depend on the type of adaptor you need to buy but I don't think that this will be prohibitive.

onthelimit1 18:17 PM 22 Oct 12

Changing a wireless adaptor is simple (except some only have one antenna socket). An option is to use a dongle. I've bought a number of Edimax from Amazon recently - 8 quid and very good connections. Can't add a link at the moment, as the website won't let me!

onthelimit1 18:23 PM 22 Oct 12

Ah, the ability has returned!

Edimax dongle here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:23 PM 22 Oct 12

Card may or may not be easy to change but it is far easier to use a usb wifi dongle .

Pineman100 19:35 PM 22 Oct 12

That's all very useful information - thank you.

A couple of further questions, if I may, about using a dongle:

(1) I notice that the Edimax dongle has no visible antenna, so I assume the antenna is internal. So it must be very small. Does this limit the range of wi-fi reception?

(2) Obviously a dongle will occupy a USB port. In order to get maximum speed of wi-fe reception, does this have to be a USB3 port? And if it can't have its own dedicated port, would its use in a hub reduce wi-fi speed?

Many thanks again.

onthelimit1 20:11 PM 22 Oct 12

USB2 is fine, and I've found the range to be really very good - i was staggered the first time I used one, and have supplied many more with good results.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Pro 4 review: Hands-on with the new generation of Surface

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Crowdfunding for world’s first 3D camera-computer found in 30 hours

2015 iMac release date rumours, specs, price & features: new 21in 4K Retina iMacs coming next week