Can I easily upgrade laptop's wi-fi adaptor?

Pineman100 22 Oct 12

I've found an Acer Aspire V5 laptop that I'm interested in buying. Its spec. seems to cover everything I need, with one exception - the wi-fi spec is listed as 802.11b/g. I want 802.11n.

I have fitted a new hard drive and memory to a laptop in the past, but I have no idea whether it is equally simple to fit an improved wi-fi adaptor. Is this straightfoward? Any idea what the adaptor would cost me?

Many thanks for any advice.

difarn 22 Oct 12

You may find this article interesting - the cost will depend on the type of adaptor you need to buy but I don't think that this will be prohibitive.

onthelimit1 22 Oct 12

Changing a wireless adaptor is simple (except some only have one antenna socket). An option is to use a dongle. I've bought a number of Edimax from Amazon recently - 8 quid and very good connections. Can't add a link at the moment, as the website won't let me!

onthelimit1 22 Oct 12

Ah, the ability has returned!

Edimax dongle here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22 Oct 12

Card may or may not be easy to change but it is far easier to use a usb wifi dongle .

Pineman100 22 Oct 12

That's all very useful information - thank you.

A couple of further questions, if I may, about using a dongle:

(1) I notice that the Edimax dongle has no visible antenna, so I assume the antenna is internal. So it must be very small. Does this limit the range of wi-fi reception?

(2) Obviously a dongle will occupy a USB port. In order to get maximum speed of wi-fe reception, does this have to be a USB3 port? And if it can't have its own dedicated port, would its use in a hub reduce wi-fi speed?

Many thanks again.

onthelimit1 22 Oct 12

USB2 is fine, and I've found the range to be really very good - i was staggered the first time I used one, and have supplied many more with good results.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

Encore creates eerie effects for Spielberg's new TV show The Whispers

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message